Need help, support, but too fragile for any lectures, please

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need help, support, but too fragile for any lectures, please

Postby Mommylut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

I have been totally out of control. For the first time in YEARS I found myself in front of a 1/2 gallon of ice cream eating all the chips and cookie dough out of it. And, of course, I am going to spend the weekend at my sister's house --- my 5'6" thin sister who is extremely judgemental. I have gained weight - no doubt about it. I have had a hard time sticking to McDougall. I finally went to a doctor yesterday who is in complete support of it. I know I am allergic to protein - I have read the Digestive Tuneup book and every page applies to me. Did that stop me from convincing myself, once again, that I need to go on an all protein diet to lose the weight fast? No sir-ee. After 3 days, I couldn't sit down (hemrhoids) and have been so sick to my stomach. I am achy all over. I started again in ernest this morning, but then I found pistachio nuts in my draw. I finished them (about 20 nuts). Since that is not considered animal protein, I am trying to disregard that slip up and consider this day one.

Please help, if you have any advise.

Thanks,
Mommylut

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:15 am

YOU CAN DO THIS, MOMMYLUT!!!!

Step 1. Decide you WANT to.... and you have (you posted!)!

Step 2. Patrol the premises.... and get rid of the stuff that would throw you back under the naughty bus.

Step 3. Write down the reasons you want to be 100% (hint: you've posted a whole bunch. add to that the great way you'll feel physically, how proud you'll be of your control, how cool it will be when others notice your svelte-ness and gorgeous glow. etc. Write 'em on a 3 X 5 and keep it with you to review if there is temptation. Read this list several times a day....!

Step 4. Plan every morsel that's gonna pass your lips for the next week (or as long as it's gonna take to make sure you're on the track again)

Step 5. Praise yourself for every single step in the right direction. Think about planning in a teeny daily reward for sticking to plan and a bigger reward for a chunk (4 days... a week... whatever) of compliant days.

Step 6. Add in something physical - and praise yourself for doing something exercise-ish, too. We tend to berate lavishly for failures and forget to celebrate baby steps in the right direction.

maybe 5 and 6 should be reversed.... just writing off the top of the ol' head.....
eaufraiche703

Hi Mommylut

Postby MTeehan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:17 am

Your story sounds a LOT like mine. Even Kidney stones didn't stop me from trying atkins again. In January I decided to call Dr. McDougall out. I ate potatoes until I was stuffed! I did eat more than 2 fruits a day. EVERY day I had a huge banana 'ice cream' with frozen bananas and another fruit blended. I made tons of chips (microwaved on parchment paper) It seemed like every hour I was gorging on either sweet potatoes or white. I'd go through about 3 pounds of roasted veggies a day. I left absolutely no room for anything non-McDougall in my stomach. I did this until I noticed I wasn't doing it anymore. I began to crave less volume but today I actually WANT veggies or potatoes when I'm hungry or fruit when I want something sweet. I don't know if this helps but I REALLY hope it does. I hit my goal a while ago and switched to 'regular' McDougall and 'miraculously' (SP?) I've eaten whenever I'm hungry and have continued to lose (another 11 ppounds)
Last edited by MTeehan on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Postby Mommylut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:20 am

You have both helped me so very much, I really appreciate it and feel better just having communicated my feelings.

I have written Dr. John in the past about one specific issue or another. I wouldn't even know what to write him about. Would he answer questions about bingeing?
Mommylut

i ABSOLUTELY think so!

Postby MTeehan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am

Mommylut wrote:You have both helped me so very much, I really appreciate it and feel better just having communicated my feelings.

I have written Dr. John in the past about one specific issue or another. I wouldn't even know what to write him about. Would he answer questions about bingeing?

I would just e-mail him a copy of what you posted with a brief note stating you need some advice. I've e-mailed him so many times with redundant, repetative questions and he has never not answered nor has he ever appeared to be annoyed. I realize how busy he is so I always try to keep it short.
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Mommylut,
I’d just say that past failure is not a predictor of future failure. I tried and failed to stick to McDougall many times over a period of more than 10 years before it finally took. I’ve stuck to it for a year now, but I’ve been where you are. Staring at an empty pizza box and wondering what possessed me to eat an entire pizza in one setting even though I had lots of wholesome healthy McDougall food in my house. I don’t have a metabolism problem. I got to 520 pounds by eating large amounts of greasy SAD food. My out of control eating was worse than yours and I turned it around. I know that you can too. Don’t give up, no matter what, just keep trying.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Mommylut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks so much, Letha. Those kind words mean even more coming from you. I will definitely not give up.
Mommylut

Postby sksamboots » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey you,

I wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you but I don't. Why? Because different things work for different people. For me, the key, when I first started, was to make sure I was constantly full on Mcdougall friendly food. But I know that doesn't work for everyone. I think I would literally stuff myself so that there was no room for SAD food. I did that for about 1 month and then all my other cravings were gone. I hope you find the path that works for you. I'm here to support you. Keep on keepin on :-D
sksamboots

eat, but only McDougall

Postby lfwfv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am

Hi,

Wish I could give you a big hug. I think so many of us, even if we don't struggle with weight, can empathize with the feeling of being out of control or of continuing bad habits.

I think one of the greatest commitments I've made to myself was that I would allow myself to eat if I needed to, but only McDougall compliant foods. Even if I overate, I knew I wouldn't get fat from them and that I wouldn't feel stuffed for very long because my body could actually digest the foods I was eating. I cleared out all the junk, and anything I overate on (bread, crackers, simple sugars). I stuck to MWL foods.

I feel much more in control. I was never overweight but I struggled with volume eating at times (usually related to true physical hunger, but I would ingest too many calories before I could tell I was full and then feel bloated and awful). I also know I am always giving my body incredibly nutrient-dense foods instead of wasting my daily calories on empty calories and missing out on nutrients. My hair, skin, energy level and digestion is much better because of it.

I also find exercise extremely helpful. Getting outside is especially good. It really helps to regulate my appetite, gives me positive feelings about my body and helps me to regulate my moods and energy level.

There are some articles in the newsletters that have helped me:
February 2006- Moderation is Impossible for Passionate People
January 2005- Pushing Your Set Point to the Limits
November 2005- How to Help the Volume Eater

I wish you all the best. You can do this!

lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby Mommylut » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:37 am

Everything every one says makes so much sense. I feel born again. Yesterday was quite good, and I didn't seem to have the same urges. I am trying to be at peace with my weekend away and try to realize that, although I am definitely heavier than I was a few months ago, last year I was 60 lbs heavier. I will be following regular mcdougall for the weekend - too much to try to go total MWL while away. I am returning Sunday night, so starting then (notice, I didn't say I would wait until Monday) I will be following MWL to the letter.

You all seem to have a different approach, but you all really did the same thing - filled up on MWL approved food and didn't worry about how much you were eating until it became a habit. I think that is where I go wrong. I still "diet" instead of following a food plan, so my head isn't in the right place.

You have all helped me so very much. I hope I can do the same for you some day (although not for the same reason :lol: )
Mommylut

Absolutely, you speak the truth.

Postby f1jim » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:56 pm

You wrote...
"You all seem to have a different approach, but you all really did the same thing - filled up on MWL approved food and didn't worry about how much you were eating until it became a habit."

The approach is the mental part of the process but the filling up on approved foods is the execution part that must be followed for success. How you get there internally is completely different for everyone but the physical process is the same for everyone I can think of that has had excellent success. Get rid of the crap in the house, stock up on only healthy items, plan, plan, plan.
Not easy, but simple. None of us is any better or worse than you. You deserve better than the beating you are giving yourself. You deserve every bit of success that is within your reach. Go get it.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby LauraA » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:04 am

I'm so glad that you posted about your struggles. There is so much help here. What has worked for me is reading and rereading (or watching) The Pleasure Trap about bingeing. Also, eating as much as I want to be satisfied, and posting and reading here as much as I can. We still have a get-together some time in Nov, right? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Encouragement

Postby Clary » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 am

I find Karen Barron's Star McDougaller story (she posts as KareninTN) and Dr. McDougall's accompanying "Comments" immensely encouraging and inspiring for someone who has "tried before".

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/karen_barron.html

Excerpt from Dr. McDougall's "Comments":

More than half of the people who attend our live-in program have previously tried to follow our recommendations from the McDougall books and DVDs. Fortunately, most of them had experienced sufficient benefits to understand the value of our low-fat, starch-based diet and exercise. But, because permanent changes require time and effort they "fell off the wagon," as the saying goes. Many experimented, before and after their McDougall experiences, with completely opposite, low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets (Atkins, Zone, etc.). They received painful lessons from these diets. Finally through persistence they decided, as Karen did, to commit to the McDougall Program—and that commitment was the turning point...."
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Another question ...

Postby PamM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi -- Mommylut, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread, but this has been *so* helpful for me to read as well, and I wanted to ask a related question of the successful folks here -- along with not worrying about portion control, and letting the volume adjust naturally, can I ask if folks also didn't worry too much about the proportion of starch to veg initially? This is where I keep shooting myself in the foot, especially after my exposure to ETL -- I say to myself, "okay, don't worry about portions, just stick to plan foods and you'll be fine," and then somewhere a little voice adds "... as long as it's mostly green vegetables ..." and before you know it, I'm into SAD again. And the stupid thing is, I *love* vegetables; but trying to eat a prescribed amount seems to trigger that diet/rebel cycle. So I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that if I relax about the proportions as I get started, will the veg-starch ratio also tend to adjust on its own, like volume?

Thanks!!! Pam
PamM

Re: Another question ...

Postby Letha.. » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

PamM wrote: I wanted to ask a related question of the successful folks here -- along with not worrying about portion control, and letting the volume adjust naturally, can I ask if folks also didn't worry too much about the proportion of starch to veg initially? This is where I keep shooting myself in the foot, especially after my exposure to ETL -- I say to myself, "okay, don't worry about portions, just stick to plan foods and you'll be fine," and then somewhere a little voice adds "... as long as it's mostly green vegetables ..." and before you know it, I'm into SAD again.

Hi Pam,
On page 60 of the paperback McDougall book for maximum weight loss Dr. McDougall does recommend that you make green and yellow vegetables 1/3 to 1/2 of your meals. So I do think about that a lot because I have a lot of weight to lose. But I know if my meals were “mostly green vegetables” I would not be satisfied and it would be very hard me to stay on plan. My meals are at least 1/2 potatoes, rice, or other grain.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program