Need help, support, but too fragile for any lectures, please

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Another question ...

Postby bigdorkpeter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:04 am

PamM wrote:can I ask if folks also didn't worry too much about the proportion of starch to veg initially?

This time around I have learned to "trust the process" and not worry about portions, calories, or nutrients. However my spot-checks in CRON-o-Meter show that I'm getting great nutrition with a moderate calorie deficit.

Initially I didn't care at all what I ate except that it was MWL. At first the portions were large, I had lots of cravings, etc. But now the portions have naturally decreased and I'm satisfied with less.

That being said, I make it a point to eat plenty of vegetables but don't have any set ratio that I try to maintain. (Especially since I rarely eat a traditional "plate" of food, tending to graze and eat fruit in between larger meals.) If I discovered I wasn't losing any weight, I would probably emphasize the veggies more but so far I'm consistently losing. I love them too so it's not a problem. They're filling so maybe you'll want to eat at least some before your starch.

One thing that really helped with cravings for pastries and other baked goods was eliminating all artificial sweeteners. (I was a big diet coke head ;-) ) I also try to ask myself if I'm really hungry or if it's just stress or boredom or whatever.

--Peter
bigdorkpeter

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 am

Mommylut, hope the weekend went ok. I know we all fall into the trap of feeding our emotions. It's hard. My emotional binging was due to trying to be a perfectionist. Once I realized I wasn't going to be perfect I was the best I ever have been. I still have room for improvement though.

The suggestions of eating until full is good. I do that monthly for our work Birthday Party day. I make sure I have a hefty salad, then by the time they start the celebrations I'm stuffed and the crap food doesn't look good.

Pam, I do like to eat half and half. But I split mine by meals. I recently started eating something starchy at lunch and found I can't eat as much of that as I do my salad. So I think it does balance out somewhat.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Mommylut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:02 am

I just wanted to let all you wonderful people know that, thanks to all of you, the weekend was absolutely fine. I got over seeing my sister and realized this was me and deal with it. I stayed with regular mcdougall all weekend and I did really well. On Sunday, we did a 3 1/2 mile memory walk in honor of my mother for the Alzheimer's association. I then drove home 4 hours from Boston! To say I was tired is an understatement. However, now that the worst is over, I am on MWL. I am going to work out today, eat the right foods, and do what I need to do for myself.

Thanks, everyone.
Mommylut

Postby toadfood » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 am

Mommylut, I'm glad things are going well for you. You've gotten some great advice here. I struggle with bingeing on SAD food from time to time also, and this thread has helped me a lot.

I try not to worry about quantities, or about proportion of veggies to starch -- except that I try to eat at least 5 servings of veggies a day. If I want to eat 5 baked potatoes, I eat them and don't worry about it. And it works.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program