how do you cook your spuds?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

how do you cook your spuds?

Postby chewy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 pm

do you boil,bake in the oven or microwave or steam your potatoes?
chewy

Postby Nicky_25 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:44 pm

I like to bake them- in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil although i know the foil is bad for you.. or chop them up and do them quickly in the microwave and mash them up.. that's a quick and easy way. also cut them up and stick them in soups or sauces they cook quicker than you think!!
Nicky_25

re: how do you cook your spuds?

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:38 pm

I put them in a little micro wave dish I got at Wal Mart. It cooks them pretty fast & I like them when they are crispy on the outside. Last night I guess I got a little carried away & their was smoke coming out of my microwave. Needless to say, the potato went in the garbage.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Letha. » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:41 pm

We do eat baked potatoes/yams and boiled mashed potatoes but my favorite way to eat potatoes/yams is cooked into a soup or curry. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Daffodil » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:27 am

I bake, boil, steam. I bake in the oven rarely. I bake them in the microwave more because it's faster. I do the most baking in the winter to warm the house up. Summers, it's hot enough, so in the microwave they go.
I also use the steamer bags when I need it fast, or my steamer when I have more time. 6 1/2 minutes for 4-5 potatoes, diced in the steamer bag.
Daffodil

Re: how do you cook your spuds?

Postby Plumerias » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:58 am

chewy wrote:do you boil,bake in the oven or microwave or steam your potatoes?

Yes, all of the above. It's cool this morning and I got some lovely fingerlings yesterday at the farmers market, so I did those in the oven, just unwrapped on the rack. The ones I didn't just eat are cooling on the counter. Someone else mentioned curry and another soup, with those I heartily agree! Really, it depends on the potato, my mood, and the recipe.
Plumerias

Boil them, bake them, put them in a stew.

Postby desertwind56 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

Add to soups, bake in the oven or microwave, roast, hash-browns, mash potatoes. . . Oh and I quit pealing them for mashed potatoes. I hate pealing them. Mmmmm 'taters.

Connie M.

edited to add: Oven fries! Almost forgot. They are the best! going to have to make some in a few days and some chili to go on top!
Last edited by desertwind56 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertwind56

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 pm

In grilling weather, we make packets. I use heavy duty foil, put a sheet of parchment on it (enough to wrap around the potatoes) and pile on cubed or sliced potatoes, onions, jalapenos, carrots, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, etc. as I see fit. And that will fit in the packet! Fold the paper up, then the foil, gets a bit tricky but keeps the foil from touching the food. Grill for about 20 minutes per side, more or less. It's always a guessing game unless you are real consistent with your amounts and thickness of the packet. We usually have real good results, though!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Cooking potatoes

Postby Californian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 pm

I bake potatoes in the oven and I like either apple butter or applesauce on them
Californian

Postby MaryW » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Apples on potatoes??? I never thought of that before. Hmmm...

I usually bake my taters in the microwave, cuz it's the quickest. When it gets cooler outside and I have the time, I will bake in the oven. Lately I've been enjoying thick slices baked in the oven til puffy and brown. I also like boiled potato chunks. And of course, frozen hashbrowns cooked in a frying pan or baked in the oven.
MaryW

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:16 am

Every which way I can:

baked russet potato or nuked (be sure to prick the potato skins)

red new potatoes and green beans boiled together

New England boiled dinner (boiled new potatoes, cabbage, carrots and onions)

mashed using soy milk

oven "fries"

potato soup or potato/leek soup

potato chowder with carrots

pan "fried" with onions in non-stick skillet

scalloped with soy milk
Gramma Jackie

Postby gizmotcbc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 pm

twice bake em ; )
gizmotcbc

Postby aussie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 am

I like to do wedges - parboil them, then bake in my halogen oven until crisp and brownish on the outside. Of course, I also love mashed.
aussie

POTATOES

Postby sagegirl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 am

EITHER BAKED IN A CONVECTION OVEN OR BOILED.

Just put some small russets in my RICE COOKER with water to cover. Just a few minutes and they're done. I have a small rice cooker that has an "ON" and "WARM" setting.

Had one potato with a Tbl. of salsa for breakfast and one with some 3-2-1 dressing made with good Raspberry Jam (no sugar added) instead of maple syrup - along with some coleslaw. Yummy!
sagegirl

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program