Just starting . . . again

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just starting . . . again

Postby windycitychick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 pm

I am back on McDougall after a on again/off again break for several years. I love the food--that's not my problem, but I find it difficult to shop, store, and cook the wide assortment of veggies etc. that the plan requires. Any suggestions on getting organized?
windycitychick

Postby hope101 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 pm

I might be able to give you better suggestions if I knew where you were getting tripped up and how many people you are cooking for. What I do is keep a running grocery list on the fridge, and when I get close to using up an item I put in on my list. I buy my groceries once a week, sometimes with an extra trip just for fresh veggies I am craving. I used to plan a weekly menu just before I did my grocery list, and that way I would know what I needed to buy. This was far more important for me in the days when I was working and I needed to be ultra organized.

Wrt storing veggies, potatoes, garlic, yams, squash and onions can all be stored for quite a while in a cool location (the onions separate from potatoes so it doesn't induce sprouting). I have a crisper in the fridge I keep my lettuce, carrots,cucumbers, peppers, shredded cabbage and mushrooms in, usually with spillover to other parts of the fridge. I try to keep veggies I need to use up next out and visible so I don't forget them. Cabbage tends to keep well, so I use the lettuce and other perishables more quickly. In my other crisper I keep apples and oranges, with spillover into a fruit bowl on the counter. Bananas sit out there too, along with grapes and melons. The latter tend to get eaten first, and I keep the fruit bowl replenished from the crisper drawer as the the fruit bowl gets eaten.

Wrt eating, simple is good. My family enjoys fresh vegetables with dip, spinach salads, spaghetti with marinara sauce, so we do that a lot. When I have more time I will roast veggies. I love roast veggies :D . It is one way to get in my squash, frozen brussel sprouts, onions and sweet potato.

Does that give you any ideas? Everyone around here is great with suggestions, especially if you post more of what is giving you problems.
hope101

Postby momoffour » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:59 am

Hope101,

Menu's are where I get hung up! When I cooked SAD, I'd plan two week menu's with no problem. Now, cooking a whole new way has been hard especially planning menu's that the kids will like. I also have difficulty transitioning from the need for "variety" to simple. I'm on "semester break" til the end of January, so I'm hoping to experiment over this next month, if you have any menu suggestions that would be great!

Thanks!
momoffour

Postby Sunny » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:11 am

The best advice I can give is to ccok foods ahead of time and have them handy, I cook once a week and store everything in containers to just heat and serve mostly. My kids love pasta and sauce, I have cooked pasta in a large storage bag and sauce in a container, fix a plate pop in the microwave done. Make chili, sauce, soups and these can be frozen for a later date. I think some here cook a month at a time. Do what works for you, but if the food is ready to eat it makes staying on track alot easier. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Very helpful advice

Postby windycitychick » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 am

Thank you so much for your detailed posts. I do have three children and work so time is an issue for me. I'll try to be more organized with my shopping and cooking ahead. Any suggestions for healthy "convenience" foods that make the process easier?
windycitychick

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program