APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am

beanie wrote:
Faith in DC wrote:New Dawn - Welcome. if you are in NoVa check out the lounge. Some of us are getting together.

Faith,
I'm new to the board. I live about 15 minutes from The Vegetable Garden. Is the invite open to anyone? I'd love to get to know more people that are McDougalling and lunch at the VG is always a pleasure.
Ann

I'm so glad you saw the post. yes, all is welcome. We had something posted on the Lounge board. It's fun getting to know others on the board. HealthE1 and I have been doing it for years. We have another board member coming into town.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby slugmom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am

txjack wrote:... I checked online and don't really find anything, but saw Rip Esselstyn's book with a lot of pics and stretches and liked that. It was expensive, though.

Anyone have a website they would recommend for stretches or exerciese for the out of shape? I mowed my front lawn yesterday, and really liked it. I have almost felt anxious since, wanting to do something physical.

What about this site? http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/su ... 5_0_3.html

I haven't done it, but I stumbled across it a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty basic but progressive. No big time commitment or special equipment. :)
- Kim

slugmom

Postby New Dawn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello all!

I'm so glad that I checked in before I left work today. Y'all reminded me that I need to go for a walk today. It looks like it might rain, so I may have to jump on the treadmill instead of walk outside. One foot in front of the other is all that matters.

Letha, thanks about the avatar. I thought it was cute. At first I was worried that the eyes were raisins (not legal MWL), but now I'm convinced that they are blue berries--totally legal. :-D Thanks for asking about Dixie. She is better. She is strictly on her own doggie food diet now.

txjack, stretches sound great. I really need to improve my flexibility. OOOOOOh and you just reminded me that I have a beginning yoga dvd that has some easy-but-good stretches on it. Too bad my daughter will be away. I know she would do it with me and then we could chuckle at each other. Exercise is always easier for me if I have someone to do it with me.

Faith, I'd love to come, but can't this time. Maybe if y'all do it again I'll be able to make it. I do want to see pictures, though. That would be cool.

Everyone have a great rest of the day. Keep on keeping on!

:D
New Dawn

Thanks slugmom/exercise

Postby txjack » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:37 pm

slugmom wrote:
txjack wrote:... I checked online and don't really find anything, but saw Rip Esselstyn's book with a lot of pics and stretches and liked that. It was expensive, though.

Anyone have a website they would recommend for stretches or exerciese for the out of shape? I mowed my front lawn yesterday, and really liked it. I have almost felt anxious since, wanting to do something physical.

What about this site? http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/su ... 5_0_3.html

I haven't done it, but I stumbled across it a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty basic but progressive. No big time commitment or special equipment. :)

Just a quick glance, but it looks like it would be what I am looking for. Nothing crazy right off, but something more than sitting.

Thanks so much :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEU0X7/]
[/url]
txjack

Postby beanie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Faith and HealthE1 - Thanks for the lunch invite. I responded over at the lounge.
beanie

Postby beanie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi TXJack - That fitness ladder you linked to looks pretty good. I like that it starts slow and builds up gradually.
There are some pretty good walking and/or running plans over at active.com too. I followed one of their running programs and liked it for the same reason I like the fitness ladder you linked to.
Good luck
beanie

Postby catherine1305 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:57 am

Good Morning all:

Just checking in. I'm working this staying on plan. It has gotten a little difficult.
For staff appreciation my work is providing lunch Friday. I asked what the menu was it didn't sound at all McDougall friendly. I might have to pack something. The lady in charge said she would order me a plain salad how nice LOL. My friend said to just do what I always do and go home but I want to hear what the big bosses say. I'm hoping they reverse some of the dress code they make us do but not our sister company.

Well we will see.

Have a great day all!
Cathy
Start March 2007

catherine1305

Postby Letha. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 am

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. Its day 12 of my elimination diet. I’ve gotten significant improvement in my chronic sinus congestion and IBS symptoms. I’m going to add salt back into my diet tomorrow. Omitting salt is not actually required as part of the Elimination Diet Protocol .

No improvement in the foot pain, fibromyalgia, or arthritis. Still, if I can adjust my diet to get relief from sinus congestion or IBS that would be helpful. So, I’m going to continue with the elimination/challenge diet and start testing various McDougall foods on Saturday. It will probably take a couple months to test all the foods I want to test. Down the road I may test some foods that aren’t MWL, like peanuts and Tofu. But I would only eat them for the two day test period. I only want to do this once in my life because it’s not a lot of fun.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 am

Reminder
Thursday Is Weigh-In Day

If you’d like to participate, please post your results sometime on Thursday and I’ll add them up for the group on Friday morning.
Letha.

Postby txveggie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 am

I've had a rough week being out of town and my father in the hospital but I am back on track and hope to be down tomorrow. I missed yoga on Monday but did a video one day and have walked most days. I feel so much better when I stick to the program. :)
txveggie

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 am

Letha that elimination is terrible and I haven't even done it. Believe me, I am wishing you lots of luck cause I'd have said to heck with this a long time ago.

I'm sorry the foot is still hurting.

New Dawn - hope we can met up sometimes.

Txveggie - do the best you can. Running around takes time and we only have so much in a day. You are trying.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby MaryW » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Just checking in. I haven’t posted every day, but I do stop by every day to see what other people have posted!

I have to admit, the scale doesn’t seem to be sliding down this week the way it did last week. I’m not discouraged, just wondering if I should do something different. Maybe I’m eating too much starch in relation to my vegetables. I eat fairly large meals (I think), but I’m hungry a couple of hours later. For example, this morning I had two baked potatoes sprinkled with salt and pepper and a cup of coffee. (still can’t give up that coffee!) A couple of hours after that, I had 2 prunes (my boss keeps prunes on hand for snacks) to tide me over until lunch. For lunch I had some Caribbean Vegetable Stew over a baked potato. Maybe the stew was starchy enough on it’s own? Maybe I should have just had a salad or some carrot sticks with it and no potato? It’s been less than 3 hours since I ate and I’m starting to get hungry again! I have a pear for a snack later. I’ll be at my second job this evening. I’m wondering if I should eat more of the Caribbean stew. It just seems very dense to, like a treat instead of an everyday meal. Am I way off on this?

Also, I think I’ve been hitting the salt too hard this week. I usually eat my potatoes with Mrs. Dash or a spritz of Braggs. But salt and pepper has been my seasoning of choice this week. And too much salt means water retention. I guess I’m just stressing too much about the scale. Losing a small amount of weight is still losing weight, right? I might stray from MWL here and there (like the prunes) but I’ve been McDougalling for the past few weeks. I’m proud of myself for sticking to the plan! A sweet little old lady brought me some cookies yesterday, and I didn’t eat any! Woo hoo! Oh, but wait. I forgot about the Hershey’s mini candy bar I found under the kitchen table. Did I eat that? Yup. Ugh. Baby steps, baby steps. : )
MaryW

Postby slugmom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Letha, are you including brown rice on your elimination diet? I have read that brown rice sometimes exacerbates arthritis symptoms where white rice does not. I am glad you've gotten some clear improvement from the elimination diet! I am sorry it has not (yet?) resolved some of the pain ...

I've fumbled on the plan a bit this week but was watching the MWL part of the Dr. McDougall’s Money-Saving Medical Advice video, and I was inspired to be more compliant and also to split each of my big meals into two smaller meals - same amount of food, but eaten in a more grazing fashion. I also dug out my MWL book to re-read.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby toadfood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:32 am

Good morning, everybody! My weight is on its way back down, but post me for a zero loss this week. I'm still trying to get back to where I was before I had my glitch, and I'm not quite there yet. Getting close, though!

Let's see if the code for this chart works:

[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/w0SzupU]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Starchyme » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:01 am

Remember I weighed on Saturday at WW and was to report it this week? Well, I had gained a pound. This morning I hopped on my scale and found I've lost 1 1/2. So, you can put me down for 1/2 a pound.

Good luck to everyone!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program