Who works out?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Who works out?

Postby Anndreak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Who here works out? If so, what do you do and how much of it? I've been trying to go to the gym on a regular basis now and I'm really starting to feel much better! It's exciting when things get a little bit easier each time!
~ Anndrea
Anndreak

Postby Mild Oats » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:09 pm

I alternate working out on a weight machine one day and following Leslie Sansone tapes on the other day, 6 days a week.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wUttXJp/]
[/url]

First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis, 1420
Mild Oats

Postby Starchyme » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 pm

I try to go to the gym to walk at least 20-30 minutes 5 days a week and do the strength training machines 3. If not, I do some stretching, resistance ball, and flex bands at home. Also have a treadmill to use.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:50 pm

I workout three days a week. I do about 35 minutes of cardio in the form of step aerobics and 35 minutes of weight-training each time in a class that I've been taking at the gym since September. I enjoy being committed to working out on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and when the weekend is over I look forward to Monday's workout.

I believe being in a class with supportive people hasd helped me remain committed to working out. My instructor also offers encouragement and her expertise.
proverbs31woman

Postby cynthiak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 pm

I workout 6 days a week. Something different everyday. When its nice I like to walk outside. I go about 3 miles in 40 mins. In the winter I do exercise dvd's, ride my bike or lift weights or a combination of the three.
I love yoga too.
Cynthia
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXPqzb5/]
cynthiak

Postby bethannerickson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 pm

We invested in a Wii and Wii Fit for Christmas. Best thing we ever did! So fun I happily exercise daily. Very enjoyable. :)
bethannerickson

Postby Carol » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am

Personally, I hate the gym. It's boring, I don't look forward to it and don't go. I did, however, join Curves a number of years ago and went a couple years until back surgery. After I healed and went back to Curves, I realized that those machines were what was causing me back problems so I stopped going.

I walk (usually 4 miles) in the warmer weather. In the winter months I curl (that winter sport on ice). I curl 3 times a week competitively (6 hours of very good exercise) plus I practice one hour (or more) a week throwing stones. In a two hour game, I run/walk and vigorously sweep about 2 miles. It's great aerobic exercise, but also good conditioning for the legs, butt, arms, shoulders and back. Don't need to go to the gym and lift weights (thank godness). I didn't start out doing all this. Three years ago I curled one night a week and I've worked up to this. Repetitive motion, injury and I go way back, so I always need to be careful. Wish I liked to ride a bike, but I don't. :(

I'm almost sorry when the warmer weather hits and curling ends. I've been in a summer croquet league now for 17 years, but....no exercise there unless you count the elbow! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carol

Postby TwinB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 am

I walk for half an hour on weekdays & 60-90 mins. on weekends, in addition to lifting weights 2-3 X week. I like to use the Bosu for 5 mins./day for balance training too, as well as the Swiss Ball for floor exercises.
TwinB

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I walk about 45-60 minutes most weekdays at lunch, and about two hours each mornings on most days I don't work. I do strength training one night a week. Hate the gym, but really like my trainer. I also dance and that's sort of on and off. My goal is to make that more on than off.

The walking helps lower my blood pressure.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby LJ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Right now, I'm going to the gym 3x/week. Each work-out consists of 30 minutes of weight training and 45 minutes of cardio. The other 4 days, I do The Firm work-out tapes at home. (Fanny lifter work-outs are my favorites) When it warms up, those 4 days may consist of biking or walking. I also enjoy playing basketball with my boys or playing in the pool. Lot easier to have more fun when its warmer outside!!! However, I happen to be one of those people that love going to the gym. I love the way I feel after a work-out.
LJ

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Because of a foot injury being slow to heal(hopefully by summer), I had to give up walking! But at work we have a little work out room and I get on the elliptical about 4 times a week. Times vary between 15-20 minutes. At home I bowflex about 3 times a week. Its not a lot, but hopefully when my foot heals, and i can start walking. I would really like to run again....i might be dreaming
Lily

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Lily

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Carol, what a cool sport. Is it really good exercise. If I did better on skates I'd love to try it. I work for the Embassy of Canada.

This summer I did the best I have ever done. I couldn't believe I was able to actually go through the whole summer and walk outside. We have some rough summer days. Albeit I had to go slower sometimes, but I moved.

Now, if it warms up enough I'll get out for a walk on weekends, I have a treadmill and stationary bike but b-o-r-i-n-g. So I am trying a couple times a week to do interval training, walk the tread or bike or rebound then lift a set, and keep going back and forth so it keeps the heart up. Last week I decided to try belly dancing, as I love that and it's good.

I feel like this time of year, I'm just limping through.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby jams » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:25 pm

I work out 5 days a week. Mon to Friday during lunch 40mins - alternate Cardio and Circuit. I love it. although i've always been big...Can't remember when I was last under 250lbs..I worked out all through my pregnancy to week 38 kick boxing and all...Thank goodness because I had preclampsia when I stopped. i love feeling the burn in my thighs,,,The sweat on my face....When i'm not looking in the mirror i think I'm the fittest women in the world...i feel that way... I can run 20 to 30 min on the treadmill no problem...At last...my frame does not match my voice or enthusiam for life...I forge on...Hoping that a Vegan lifestyle with my activities at the Gym will give me the body I want!NOOOOO I DESERVE!!!!

Talk soon!
260/252/140 Start Dec 27th,2008
YES I CAN! FAB VEGAN
jams

Postby gizmotcbc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 pm

I try to work out every day, about 30min or so.

I try to alternate between exercises. I found its easiest watching a tv show on my laptop why running on the treadmill or the elliptical
gizmotcbc

Postby Bambie113 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:25 pm

I love hearing about what everyone else is doing!

I don't have a set routine, I just make a goal to workout atleast 4 days a week, this consists of 1hr weight lifting classes, 1hr intense cardio classes, jogging 1-2 miles, walking on the treadmill and watching soaps! Sometimes we go hiking and very rarely I'll stick a dvd in at home and workout to that (if its raining outside and I can't convince myself to go to the gym!).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program