June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Zoey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:05 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Zoey - Hanging in is much better than dropping out, right? :D Getting to the point where so many of the recommended behaviors feel easy or effortless is a significant achievement. I believe you found the fruit juice and sparkling water helpful in abstaining from alcohol, and now that you've had a period of success omitting wine (am I remembering that correctly? If that is the case), do you feel like you are ready to try eliminating fruit juice entirely? Do your best "keeping your head on straight!" :-D

Mark, you are amazing, you remembered! Yes, that is what has gotten me off the wine in the evenings. So I'm not quite ready to try to give it up. But I am drinking a lot more water these days, which helps me not to eat so much fruit. And really, have I ever eaten fruit because I'm hungry? No, probably just because I'm thirsty and it's so yummy. More of the pleasure trap for me.

Thanks for you kindness and your inspiring posts to everyone. Here's to a good week!
Zoey

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:10 pm

taymariekay - To respond to your question about the "cheese" sauce - Jeff discusses nutritional yeast in this thread. Nutritional yeast is ~1700 calories / lb (just as calorie dense as sugar), so if one were to choose to use it, it should be used very sparingly as a condiment, following the same guidelines as for sugar.

Zoey - Considering that a 5 oz glass of wine is ~120 calories (and the many other good reasons to abstain from alcohol), that seems like a wise change you have made. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:54 pm

lmggallagher wrote:Observation for the week -- aside from bad eating. I was interested in what Goose said about having to limit tomatoes - otherwise she has problems. Though she didn't specify what - it turns out I too may be in the not too much in the way of tomatoes group as well. I have tried to make two JeffN fast food recipes a week - starting off with 28 oz can of tomatoes. Seems like this may be a huge fibromyalgia trigger for me. I've had a theory that part of my fibro is gut related and part of why this diet is so good in helping me keep the fibro down is that it is alkaline and not an irritant to my gut. Until massive tomato meals - boy did I suffer this week after those meals and have been I think on and off for awhile. I'm bummed by this likelihood - because those recipes are wonderful and my cupboard is now full of 28 oz cans of tomatoes!

Michelle, my problem with tomatoes is inflammation. If I eat too many tomatoes, the joints in my hands feel like they’re on fire. My gut seems to handle them OK. But if they’re too acidic for you, maybe trying to cut the acidity (as well as perhaps using fewer of them) might help. Most of the recipes I’ve seen for low-acid tomato sauce recommend adding sugar, which is not what we’re after here, of course. But I know when the Gander wanted a sweeter, less acid marinara, I added grated carrot and it did the trick. There are natural sugars in carrots that dissolved into the sauce. Don’t know if that would help you or not.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:kirstykay - It is great that you are feeling happy with your week, especially since this week included oral surgery! :eek: When I make mashed potatoes, I nearly always mix in steamed cauliflower with my potatoes before mashing - might be an idea if you decide you would like to include some non-starchy vegetables while you are recuperating. That sweet potato "pudding" sounds delicious!

Thamks for the cauliflower suggestion. I will definitely do that this week!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby wildgoose » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Lakegirl wrote:Have tried Jeff’s Chubby Chips, as written, and would highly recommend his method as they were very potato-ey, chewy and also kind of moist if you don’t overbake. Has anyone tried or have any advice about making Chubby Chips with sweet potato or yam? I have some Japanese sweet potato and Hannah yams that I would like to use up. After re-reading the potato comments, if Chips don’t work out, I will probably steam them for a lower calorie count.

@Lakegirl I have done Chubby Chips with sweet potatoes. The orange ones are a little wet and have to be cooked longer. The Japanese sweet potatoes and Hannah yams work very well, I think.

I also do a lot of my chips/fries with pre-cooked and chilled potatoes, of all kinds. I bake or steam a big batch at once, then store them in the fridge to be reheated or made into chips or fries as needed. I think they turn out better than starting with raw potatoes.

My latest way of making potatoes came about thanks to the grocery store. I don’t go inside stores these days, so I’ve been ordering groceries for pickup. That means I don’t get to pick over the bags of potatoes and choose a bag that has the larger ones that I like. Last week, I got a bag of Yukon Golds that had mostly very small potatoes. OK, I needed to figure out what to do with them.

I cooked them in a steamer basket in the Instant Pot, then stored them in the fridge. When I was ready to eat them, I took a few, cut them in half, smashed them with the heel of my hand and air fried them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. They were thick and came out moist on the inside, much like Chubby Chips. But I liked the rough edges on the top, and the skins were nice too. The idea wasn’t mine — I got it from Tami Kramer (Nutmeg Notebook), who posted a recipe for what she calls Smashed Potatoes.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Everyone take care, be safe, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:25 am

This week is my first increase: +.2

I wonder if my body is reaching "equilibrium"? I had a good week with more salads every day and am walking after dinner to avoid over stuffing. I can't say I had any problems! A dear friend cooked me dinner on Wednesday evening. She is trying to eat more like I do so she fixed me a delicious dinner: all whole food plant based with no oil! The dinner was a lovely salad (no dressing, none needed when you enjoy the taste of the vegetables), steamed greens (she included leeks which were great), and a mushroom concoction with rice. I provided a mixture of fruit for dessert: mango, strawberry, blueberry, and gooseberry.

So that was my week! I am very thankful for the MWL. How do I know when my body is at equilibrium? Thank you.
josietheschnauzer

Postby Abe » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:17 am

Weight Change: 0 lbs.

I have had another compliant week, although there was one large family dinner when I was surrounded by my favorite tempting foods. I ate a large quantity of vegetables and potatoes to combat the tempting urge to indulge.

I have weighed the same amount for the past two weeks, so I guess that my weight loss is slowing down. I weighed my current amount for most of my 30s (currently 50), and it is a big improvement from where I started 44 pounds ago.

I am still hoping to get closer to the normal healthy BMI, which is 19 pounds less than I am right now.

I would also like to get down to a 36” waist, which is 4” less than my current measurement. Perhaps this is unrealistic, but when I weighed this amount in my younger years I did not have this fat of a gut.

Hopefully these goals are attainable, but perhaps not given my large appetite. I do eat a lot of the allowed foods. I have learned to stop eating when I am comfortably full for the majority of my meals. It is only when I am working late, or surrounded by temptation that I overeat starches on occasion.
Abe

Postby jan_npr » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 am

Weight change down 1.0 lbs

Thank-you Mark for tracking our efforts.

Feeling very excited to have reached the 5 pound weight loss mark. That's since May 18th. 5.2 to be exact. Really happy about it. I"m finally on the right track.
A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.   :thumbsup:
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method 2) Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsup:
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  :thumbsup:
4) Eliminate all animal foods :thumbsup:
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6) Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown: hate to give myself a thumbs down for one small slip up. Really I feel pretty good about the week.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories :thumbsup: I've been drinking water based cocoa a few times a week. How bad is this?
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily :thumbsdown: working on this one with a new 30 day challenge
jan_npr

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:02 am

Weight Change: -0.1

Ha! I am taking this SMALL weight loss! I have had an off week while recovering from surgery. Very little movement and eating smoothies and pureed foods still. My mouth is healing nicely, but I have been extremely tired. Last night I went to bed at 8:30 and slept all night! Yesterday was the first time I went for my morning walk. It was more of a stroll...1.5 miles in 40 minutes, if that tells you anything, and I didn't do any of the big hills I normally do. So, very little movement, eating mostly pureed food, although I did incorporate the cauliflower in my mashed potatoes and just yesterday I was able to eat very mushy broccoli, so I'm branching out. Today I thought I'd overcook some baby carrots and see how that goes. I can also eat green beans from a can, and I may try to heat some from frozen and see if that works. Slowly but surely...

I know the green smoothies are not allowed, but I make them with TONS of greens. I stuff the Vitamix with power greens from Costco and blend them with water until they are liquid. That fills up about half of the blender, and then I add frozen fruit and 1/2 a grapefruit, so although they are more calorie dense, I am happy that they are about 50% greens. This makes two smoothies. One I have for breakfast, and one I have sometime in the afternoon or evening. Last night that was my dinner. My mouth is still very sore, and these are soothing. I will most likely be phasing them out this week after I see the surgeon for my follow-up appointment on Wednesday and get further instructions on what I can safely eat.

All that said, I am convinced more than ever now that I need to get back to the 10-point checklist as I am able. I'm happy that I haven't gained any weight, but I know why I'm not losing, and why my blood sugar is up. I am healing, though, and that is the main thing right now.

On a side note, I have spent a lot of time reading everyone's posts and looking up many of the links that you've posted, Mark. It has been very inspiring and educational. Oh, yeah, and I like your new picture, Mark! It's very nice. Thanks again for all you do!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:05 am

June start weight - 156
June 12 - 154 (down 2 lbs)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I do this occasionally, most the time I just plate my meal

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. I've definitely paid attention to at least 50% veggies, except for breakfast.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. This has been fine. I have no added sugars, I think I had honey a few times earlier in the week with my oats, but that is now gone. I've been eating a different cereal in the morning the past few days and salt doesn't feel necessary (as opposed to oats that taste like glue without salt)

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Check!!!

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).I went back to a bit of soymilk in my coffee for now and 1 T of ground flax/chia in my morning cereal. I'm fine with this at this time.

6. Eliminate any added oil.Check !!!!

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. I had a couple chunks of my delicious homemade sourdough bread one day, and corn tortillas, that's it

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).No alcohol, YES!!!

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.I'm trying to eat a bit smaller meals to feel hungry, and doing well. I'm starting to get a bit of hunger before dinner now.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).Daily 3 mile walks and have started back to weight workouts

~~~~~~~~~~~
I did track calories for a week or so, and was probably around 1300-1600. I definitely flushed out some fluid, my stomach got flatter. My bowels/gut finally feel normalized again, but I had to add in my bit of flax/chia and a small amount of acacia fiber. I also will start adding a bit of wheat bran to my morning cereal. I tend towards loose stools and the fiber helps me with that.

A few days I had a bit too much fruit in the house and overate on that...but seriously, it's summertime and fruit is delicious.

I'm feeling good and back on track. At this time I will keep my 1/2 cup of soymilk in my diet (in coffee and cereal total for the day). I had no other nuts/seeds, no alcohol...I feel good about my choices. I will never be a diet perfectionist. The moment I try is when I mess up.

Goals for this upcoming week are to really focus on my hunger signals and to continue with exercise, start adding a bit more stretching in also.
AnnetteW

Postby rlechols » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 am

Last Week's weight: 150.5
This Week's weight: 150.0
Loss of 0.5 lb

I had another good week. The only points I think I could have done better on are starting meals with soup or salad (I often eat soup and/or salad for my meal and add starches on the side as needed) and some days I eat more than 2 pieces of fruit, like 3 or 4. I think I am often just not hungry enough to eat a big meal, so I just shoot for 50/50 on my plate. At this point in my journey I am just happy to lose anything at all. I think I want to lose 5 more lbs and then try and maintain.

Hope everyone has a good week!

--Rachel
rlechols

Postby NateKruse » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 am

Height: 6' 5"
03 January 2020 weight: 276.6 pounds.
29 May 2020 weight: 225.6 pounds.
05 June 2020 weight: 222.2 pounds.
12 June 2020 weight: 220.4 pounds.
Change this week: -1.8 pounds.
Change this year: -56.2 pounds.

My diet has been pretty consistent still. Yesterday I tried a potato, carrot, and nutritional yeast nacho "cheese" sauce on my air-fried French fries. It was pretty good! Probably better to use that than the regular ketchup I have been using in rather large quantities.

I've stuck with the basic French fry recipe because it is just so EASY! It takes just a moment to slice the potatoes into perfect fries with the french fry cutter and quickly soak them in water. Then I just put them on a parchment paper-lined air frying tray, sprinkle with garlic salt, and cook them for 26 minutes at 430°. Clean up is so easy with the parchment paper. Prep and clean-up probably takes less than five minutes and the results are delicious.

Still snacking on oranges and bananas.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.100%
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 90%. Still room for improvement by having less starchy vegetables.
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 50% Still using canned vegetables with sea salt. Also adding garlic salt.
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%
  6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%
  8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%. One gallon of water every day.
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).100%. 45 minute morning walk with the dog and a 45 minute workout every day.
NateKruse

Postby wstokes » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 am

-6.3 lbs
(this was NOT after a workout)
Some reasons for this big change:
1. a growing indifference to cheat meals/snacks
2. lighter suppers
3. vigorous daily exercise (that my apps say may be burning between 380-800 cal/day)
4. possible need for fresh batteries in my scales :-o
*** hoping I don't "find" any of these lbs by next week's report***
wstokes

Postby chaz01 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:08 am

Weight Change
Week: -3.2 lbs
June: - 4.6 lbs
Year: -69.2 lbs

This is the first time in over a month with a multi-lb weight loss, so I'm pretty excited about the results this week.

I thought I did real well with the MWL 10 point checklist this week. Greens are in season around here locally now, so I'm eating lots of fresh salads, kale, spinach, arugula. Funny that I was never a salad person, but with the right toppings, this is often my favorite part of the meal (and sometimes is my meal). I love to experiment with unconventional toppings to keep the variety going - some of my personal favorites include thinly sliced fennel, gooseberries, watermelon radishes, and/or a couple slices of jalapeño pepper (for a nice spicy kick)!

I did well following the other guidelines as well, especially on the exercise front. Now that my fitness club has re-opened (with social distancing policies enforced), I was able to hit the gym hard this week and think that was a big reason for my accelerated loss this weekend. Even above and beyond my weight loss for the year, I think I am more proud that I can say I've worked out every single day so far this year. Sometimes my work-out is just going for 1-2 mile walk, sometimes it's lot more high intensity. But the point is that I've managed to do something every single day and thus keep the momentum going, and I consider that a big reason (as well as the changes in diet) for my continued success!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer while staying safe!

Chuck
chaz01

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program