June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby abible » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 am

Last week: 195.1 pounds
This week: 194.3 pounds
Weight Loss: 0.8 pounds

Still recovering from my break a couple weeks ago. Basic problem appears
to be salt. No surprise. I started "using" again, and the BP rose in response.
So, I'm trying to get back to no added salt. It was working pretty well.

Too much fruit on several days was the most serious transgression after salt.

Exercise went pretty well. Only missed one day.

Short on time today. Cheers to all.

tony
abible

Postby Noella » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:37 am

Hi Mark, Hi Everyone!

Week One June 5, 2020 currently 181 pounds 5’9”
Weight Change since last week - 2 pounds :nod:
Started McDougall Starch Based December 29, 2019 at 240 pounds... in five months I have lost 59 pounds! :nod:

Why? Reducing the pain in my knees is my main motivator. I love walking along the beach, hiking the high alpine mountain ridges in mid summer and skiing the cross country trails in winter. I really, really want to be healthy, energetic with less pain in my knees! I want to be more athletic again, which is so hard to do when it hurts.

MWL Checklist/ Successes:
Point #1: I have continued eating salad before each meal. This is a wonderful habit, so simple and it means that I eat lots of leafy green and herbs each day! Sometimes I simply eat two or three celery stalks or half a cucumber if my culinary skills are lacking.
Point #10: For exercise each day this week I’ve been doing major house cleaning and landscaping rather than walking Losing weight has given me renewed energy, balance and flexibility, too! I can bend and reach so much better! I am able to do more exercise and movement with improved stamina.

General impressions & observations: I’m not having cravings for anything unhealthy. I do sometimes crave avocados, nuts and dried fruit and sometimes I have a taste but I’m okay not indulging in these higher food density plant based foods right now while I am actively wanting to lose weight. I do add these to my husband’s meals though, as he does not want to lose weight. I use a bit of salt, a salt herb blend and an assortment of vinegars. My palate has changed to enjoy the flavour of simple vegetables, grains and beans without much in the way of seasoning added.

Source of excitement: Being part of this group for June! Thank you! Being part of MWL is an inspiring resource and support. I’m looking forward to hearing about everyone’s successes and challenges. I’m excited to be moving toward a ‘normal‘ weight for my height. That will be a milestone day! I now believe it is possible following the healthy eating guidelines set out in MWL.

Thank you for your support, Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff. I can’t wait to read everyone’s posts for June 5th!

Best regards,
Noella

Noella

Postby chaz01 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

Nate!

I think you need to share your recipe and expertise for your French (air)-Fries with your fellow MWLers!

NateKruse wrote:
I've been eating A LOT of homemade air-fried French fries with ketchup this week. I'm loving it and I'm dialing in the recipe to perfection.

[/b][/list]
chaz01

Postby NateKruse » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:17 pm

chaz01 wrote:Nate!

I think you need to share your recipe and expertise for your French (air)-Fries with your fellow MWLers!

NateKruse wrote:
I've been eating A LOT of homemade air-fried French fries with ketchup this week. I'm loving it and I'm dialing in the recipe to perfection.

[/b][/list]

Chaz,

I'm still experimenting. My favorite method produces great results (at least I think so), but it also creates a decent amount of dishes to clean.

I cut the potatoes in approximately 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spears. I used to do this with a knife but just yesterday got a 1/2 inch french fry cutter that makes it way faster and more consistently shaped. I rinse them in a bowl of cold water to get some of the starch off. Then I put them in the instant pot in a steamer basket and use the steam function with the timer set to 0 (it's actually a thing). As soon as it gets up to pressure I manually release the steam and soak the fries in a fresh bowl of cold water. In a larger bowl I mix them with a good amount (maybe an 1/8th of a cup) of McCormick Cajun seasoning (includes sodium).

I then put them on a piece of parchment paper on a Breville Smart Oven Air air-frying rack and air fry them for 26 minutes at 430° I eat them with apple cider vinegar sprinkled on top with a bit of garlic salt and dip them in ketchup (mustard is a good low-calorie substitute).

I'm currently making a batch omitting the steaming and seasoning, but I let them soak for a few hours in water. I don't expect it to be as tasty but the clean-up will be much easier.
NateKruse

Postby NateKruse » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 pm

NateKruse wrote:
chaz01 wrote:Nate!

NateKruse wrote:

[/b][/list]

Chaz,

I'm still experimenting. My favorite method produces great results (at least I think so), but it also creates a decent amount of dishes to clean.

I cut the potatoes in approximately 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spears. I used to do this with a knife but just yesterday got a 1/2 inch french fry cutter that makes it way faster and more consistently shaped. I rinse them in a bowl of cold water to get some of the starch off. Then I put them in the instant pot in a steamer basket and use the steam function with the timer set to 0 (it's actually a thing). As soon as it gets up to pressure I manually release the steam and soak the fries in a fresh bowl of cold water. In a larger bowl I mix them with a good amount (maybe an 1/8th of a cup) of McCormick Cajun seasoning (includes sodium).

I then put them on a piece of parchment paper on a Breville Smart Oven Air air-frying rack and air fry them for 26 minutes at 430° I eat them with apple cider vinegar sprinkled on top with a bit of garlic salt and dip them in ketchup (mustard is a good low-calorie substitute).

I'm currently making a batch omitting the steaming and seasoning, but I let them soak for a few hours in water. I don't expect it to be as tasty but the clean-up will be much easier.

Ok, the red potatoes in 1/2 inch fries, soaked in water for about 2 hours, and air fried on parchment paper at 430° for 26 minutes turned out great. They taste like potatoes but the consistency was surprisingly good and super easy to make. They also have no added salt, oil, or sugar!
NateKruse

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Last week's weight: 196.7
This week: 196.2

Loss for this week: 0.5 pounds

I am happy with this loss as I have had trouble and wavered a little but after a good talking to myself, got back to eating the way I need to.

I laughed a little when reading Annette's post as I feel almost the same as her on each of the 10 points. I don't get #1 very well but don't really worry about it. I just cannot eat vegetables for breakfast and always have fruit on my oatmeal. My lunch always starts with a big salad so no problem with that. Dinner includes a steamed veggie but I don't start with soup or salad. I usually eat my vegetables first.

the 50/50 plate method I do pretty well. I may have been shy on my asparagus last night.

I don't eat dessert but have fruit with breakfast and or include it on my salad.

no animal foods

no oil unless eating out. I request no oil but not sure it happens.

#7 I try to eliminate bread but don't always. I stay away from crackers, muffins, etc.

I don't drink my calories.....maybe a splash of almond milk (30 cal) on my oatmeal but that 's all

# 10 has been no problem. I walk 3 miles usually with two days a little lighter (maybe 1.5 miles).

#9 is my focus right now. Am I hungry? Am I full? Do I really need to eat right now? This month I am focusing on #9 as I believe this to be important to my lifelong eating self.

I hope to see everyone lighter next week !

squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm

squealcat wrote:
I laughed a little when reading Annette's post as I feel almost the same as her on each of the 10 points.

I guess we are twins, we'll just have to help each other out along the way. It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one out there.
AnnetteW

Postby Sue Ancora-imparo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm

June 5th Check-in
1. (-2.4) !
2. I got through all 10 on the list. #3 was helpful with "minimal" salt. #4 & 10 I already do, so those were easy.
3. Really had to power through #5, #6, #7, so that is where I'm likely to slip up.
4. General impressions: Fruit for dessert is genius! Previously I was treating myself to a TBL of chocolate chips after lunch, to "finish my meal." The fruit has replaced this. Also, it was eye opening how many nuts I as eating "here and there." Snacks, in salad, sauces. So these small things of nuts and oil add up!

Lastly - day 2 was really hard. This is pretty extreme way to eat. Also, some of the meals I made were not so tasty, so that was unsatisfying. While it was great to see a reduction in weight, it takes a lot of willpower so far. Today, day 5 I feel the best so far when I woke up :-D However, I am zooming a Wine tasting with friends tonight. I'm just going to keep trying to do my best.
Sue Ancora-imparo

Postby AmandaSue » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Weight change : 0 Pounds

Man, this week got me good. I struggled for most of the week, as my checklist will show. I fell off the wagon hard and had a hard time getting back on track.

10 point checklist.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: 50% I did this half the days this week. As I said last week, I need to make sure these things are prepped in advance. I made the broccoli bisque (MWL recipe) about halfway through the week and had no problem having it before lunch and dinner the rest of the time
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method : 50% Again, just comes down to prepping in advance. I have been hesitant to buy frozen microwave veggies but I think this week has shown me it's worth the extra cost to stay compliant.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts: 80% This is actually a win for me this week. I have always loved salt...like, salt food before I taste it...but I added a little salt to my broccoli bisque and was offended by how overwhelming it was!
4) Eliminate all animal foods: 100% No problem here for me
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy): 30% This is the obvious culprit. I had a PB&J sandwich 4 times this week...it was like once I did it one night, I had to have it multiple nights in a row...I have overcome that hurdle the past two days...I needed to eat more starch - as suggested by another MWL friend
6) Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 30% The other culprit...those PB&J Sammies land here too, with those slices of bread. We also had popcorn one night
8 ) Don’t drink your calories: 80% This is not usually an issue for me, but I got a Sbux iced tea lemonade this week, and started adding a splash of soy to my coffee
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 30% Didn't hit the mark here either, which I'm recognizing is part of the reason I was so hungry in the evenings
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: 40% I was able to get out a couple days this week for a long walk/hike, but not consistently.

Overall, I'm just feeling like I have learned a lot from this week. In the short term it cost me some weight loss. Long term, I think the failure really helped me see areas in my life that are controlling my emotions (and therefore my emotional eating). I also feel more compassionate toward myself (not my typical reaction to diet failure) and more confident in this way of eating. Started listening to the Pleasure Trap and a video from Dr. Lisle that was recommended to me.

Week 3 is over...Cheers to week 4! 8)
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" -Mary Oliver, The Summer Day

AmandaSue

Postby MaryP » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Having trouble posting. Hope this one goes through!

Starting weight May 29: 209
Weight today: 205
Weight loss: -4 pounds
Weight loss since January 1: 25 pounds

I have been back on track for the last 12 days. I was ready and have done well with all of the 10 points except exercise. I only manage to get out and walk about 3 days a week. Can't seem to get motivated like I was in January and February when I was walking and doing water aerobics every day, sometimes twice a day. I wish the pool was open as I really like water aerobics.

Good to be back!
MaryP

Postby rlechols » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying reading your posts today. I've been busy and have been sneaking moments to read as I try and get my work done today (I'm a pharmacist working from home right now).

My week was great, except Saturday when I ate 2 helpings of vegan peach crisp. It had plenty of sugar in it and by Sunday I was up 2 lbs. I turned it around and got the weight off by Tuesday, and went on to lose more.

Last week:152 lbs
This week: 150.5 lbs
Loss of 1.5 lbs

This week has really been a celebration for me; I hit 70 lbs total in weight loss, and a normal BMI, which I wasn't really sure was even possible. Also, I had a new patient appointment with a new doctor who isn't plant based (my old plant based doctor left the practice). I had labs done and the results are truly impressive. I started with total cholesterol of 260 and it is now down to 155. All other markers are great, including iron and B12. Admittedly, she was looking in my chart for evidence I had been taking a statin, as she hasn't seen anyone drop their cholesterol like that from diet alone. I assured her it WAS my diet!! Another great win is that her calibrated scale reads 5 lbs less than one of my 2 home scales. I have both a digital and an analog scale and they usually read exactly 10 lbs apart. I always use the higher (digital) reading for my weigh ins but it looks like my true weight is exactly halfway between them. Being down to the wearable pair of pants, none of which fit well, I also went clothes shopping this week and it was surreal to have size 12 be too big on me. I got 10s! I haven't been this size since about 1996, since I was 23. I am now 47.

About the 10 points, that peach crisp obviously broke some rules (added sugar, nuts in the topping, dry oats) and I wasn't 100% on having soup or salad before all meals but otherwise I did well. On to next week!
rlechols

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:06 pm

josietheschnauzer - Kudos for your diligent efforts! I completely agree that avoiding or minimizing dining out makes things much easier. That's an interesting discovery about your sushi preference. Enjoy those "5 course feasts!"

jan_npr - I applaud you for directing your focus at the appropriate behaviors, rather than fixating on a specific weigh-in result. Something I found helpful, as I was attempting to build a substantial period of strict adherence in a variety of different circumstances, when I knew I would be around foods that I found tempting or troublesome was to really concentrate on eating whenever I felt hungry (in the fashion described by the MWL 10-Point Checklist). It felt really critical for me not to let myself become overly hungry when the environment was replete with temptation. For a full picture of the considerations around chocolate, here is Jeff's thorough discussion. It seems to me that the notion of whether a given choice or behavior "is OKAY" is perhaps not the most useful framework for looking at these questions. We're all free to make our own decisions with respect to what we choose to do or not do. A substantial body of evidence tells us that the behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist are quite effective for achieving healthy sustainable weight loss. The recommendation from the checklist is
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
I would tend to view this in a similar way as plant "milks"
JeffN wrote:The main point here is that we do not recommend liquid calories. If you use them, keep them to a minimum and look for ones with the best numbers (calories, fat, sat fat, added sugars and salt.) Avoid ones made with or from coconut. We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)
My family really enjoy going to restaurants, and I enjoy spending time with them (and not being a "stick in the mud"), which resulted in some challenges given my commitment to adhering to the guidelines. I was able to resolve that dissonance by consciously recognizing and valuing the social time with my wife and daughter, and knowing that I might need to bring my own food to supplement the restaurant menu, or eat in advance, or be satisfied with just a salad or steamed vegetables.

chaz01 - Motivation rejuvenated! I am an early riser, and I always exercise first thing in the morning; I've found that it really helps me get my day off to a good start. Coincidentally, our first CSA box for this year arrived yesterday! You're so right that there is a big overlap between the skills that put a CSA share to good use and those skills that make adhering to MWL most attainable. Here's to a solid June!

Abe - 100% adherence gets a big :thumbsup: ! Given the mobile meal situation you describe, I'd say potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables and fruit seem like the best fit (just as you say). Nothing else is jumping to mind for me, but perhaps some other participants will have more ideas.

kirstykay - It is great that you are feeling happy with your week, especially since this week included oral surgery! :eek: When I make mashed potatoes, I nearly always mix in steamed cauliflower with my potatoes before mashing - might be an idea if you decide you would like to include some non-starchy vegetables while you are recuperating. That sweet potato "pudding" sounds delicious!

Tian-De - I can totally understand and identify with the feeling of wanting to "get solid" on MWL - it took a substantial period of strict adherence in a wide variety of challenging circumstances before I really felt like I had a handle on everything. It probably makes sense to just continue to focus on the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you aren't underweight, so there is no reason (at least no reason I'm aware of) that you would need to make a transition.

carwex - I'm excited to hear that your foot is so much better! Swimming sounds lovely to me right now, no idea if / when the pool here will open. That philosophy of simply pursuing MWL and letting one's "ideal weight" sort itself out seems like a very astute observation to me. How nice to have a friend giving MWL a try, I'm sure being able to share that experience feels very rewarding. Speaking only for myself, like you I try to be the best "model" I can be for this way of eating - making these changes is really hard, so I try to keep any expectations about who I could potential influence or "convince" as realistic as possible.

goal140 - I'm not sure what might have happened with your previous post - it didn't show up on my end. Bread seems to be quite a temptation for some of us, but it sounds like you had a successful week despite struggling a bit. I've never had yucca, but the yucca fries you describe certainly sound appealing. One of my favorite non-standard roots is rutabaga. :D

Ejg - Just to clarify, MWL recommends that we
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
So not avoiding starch, but rather balancing the slightly more calorie dense starches with an equal visual volume of more calorie dilute non-starchy vegetables; Jeff goes through this in more detail in Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety. To me your week looks fairly solid, and using the checklist to bring attention to areas of opportunity for further progress, it probably makes sense to focus on eliminating more calorie dense foods (popcorn, pretzels, &c.) as the "low hanging fruit." :)

Belana - I'm always in favor of looking on the bright side! :D I think it is great that you are able to spend time with your best friend AND that your friend loves eating MWL, what a blessing. The level of social engagement that feels comfortable or necessary can be different for different people, and we shouldn't have to neglect that or feel alone and isolated while making our way through life. I hope you're able to go on some enjoyable rides. Is there a specific aspect of adhering to MWL that raises the spectre of "being totally miserable" for you?

wstokes - Kudos on your weight loss this week, especially keeping in consideration your previous weigh-in. :)
wstokes wrote:This weight was just after a workout...but next week, I will have a “lower bar” to measure against.

I also want to remind the whole group that the recommendation from the checklist is
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
So if you aren't stuffing yourself to the point of being uncomfortable, you really shouldn't have to worry. As Jeff wrote back in April,
JeffN wrote:You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.

AnnetteW - Cheers to a fresh start, and kudos for 2 days of 10/10! I think we are all a "work in progress," right? :D Those seem like some big changes and eliminations you have made already - I'm sure that wasn't easy and required a significant effort. Well done! Of course, it is possible to start any given meal with salad or soup (even breakfast, whatever the main course might be). Each of us have to make our own choices taking into account what our goals are, and what feels attainable within a given context. All any of us can do is the best we can. I think this post from January gives some perspective that may be of use -
Mark Cooper wrote:I wanted to clarify a few points and highlight a couple of resources.

When making use of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, please keep in mind that the 10 points are guidelines that highlight areas on which to focus when you are struggling, or not seeing the results you would like. They are not absolute commandments. One example - you aren’t obligated to begin every meal with a salad, but if you find that you are having problems maintaining satiety, starting a meal with salad or soup can be very helpful. The same reasoning holds true for dessert; you don’t have to eat dessert if you are not hungry, but if you do want dessert - choose fruit. Also note that the Checklist recommends limiting added salt and sugar, but this is not a salt-free or sugar-free program. We recommend food be prepared without added salt or sugar, but it is acceptable to sprinkle a modest amount of salt or sugar on the surface of your food at the table. At the same time, if salt or sugar are a problem for you, it is perfectly acceptable to eliminate them completely (but is not required). Please remember that ultimately we are trying to establish healthy habits that can be maintained over the long term.

NateKruse - I can imagine that substantial loss feels like a very nice reward for your attention to the relevant behaviors! We had a great discussion of adherent options for ketchup back in March, which may be of interest.
wildgoose wrote:
Mark Cooper wrote: I'm sure wildgoose will be sharing a ketchup recipe here at some point. As for myself, I rarely use ketchup; when I have made some in the past, my formula was very similar to what is described in this thread. Basically, Tomato Paste + Vinegar (cider, balsamic, white or a mix) + Garlic Powder, Onion Powder & Allspice - all ingredients basically "to taste." Some people really like Kathy Fisher's ketchup recipe, as well. Neither of those will really taste like your memory of Heinz Ketchup, however. As Jeff points out in this post, depending on how much you are actually consuming in any given day, it can be possible to include a moderate amount of packaged ketchup in your diet and still adhere to the guidelines, although because of my own specific condition I choose not to consume any added sugar. Most often, my sauce of choice is the world's easiest homemade salsa - I use 1 can of NSA diced tomatoes mixed with 2-3 teaspoons of Penzeys Salsa & Pico seasoning. Because it is very calorie-dilute, I feel comfortable using as much as I want (often the whole batch on top of my potato and veggies).

Thanks, Mark, for the discussion on Ketchup. My method starts with Cathy Fisher's "Better Ketchup" recipe (link in Mark's post above). But I’m a very lazy bird, especially when it comes to cooking. Grating an apple and using a blender (which then has to be cleaned) are too much work, if the same results can be had with a simpler process. I substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for the grated apple and water in Cathy's recipe. I use one of the individual serving cups of applesauce, because if I opened a larger jar, it would go bad before I would use it all, and I’m cheap! Using applesauce means that the mixture can be stirred. No blender needed.

So this is how it goes:

½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl. Add water if necessary to thin. Transfer to a container with a lid. Refrigerate 3-4 hours for best flavor.

Note: I use a leftover wide-mouth glass almond butter jar. It’s the right size, and it doesn’t retain odor or stain from the tomato paste the way a plastic container will.
This keeps 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. It tends to get thicker with age. If it’s too thick, just add a little water and stir well.

Abe, this may not taste enough like Heinz for you. You might be able to play with the spices and get different results. As Mark says, you may be able to use your preferred packaged ketchup without a problem, if the amount you are using falls within Jeff's guidelines. I have medical issues that are helped by avoiding added salt and sugar wherever possible, so that’s what I choose to do.

Another ketchup that people are using is from Well Your World. I have tried this one, and I like it, but the flavor is not like Heinz. Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water & Tomato Paste), Apple Cider Vinegar, Sulfite-Free Raisins, Onion, Garlic, White Pepper & Spices. My guess is, one of the spices is cloves or something similar, because that’s how it tastes. I haven’t asked Dillon, the owner of the company, nor would I — I’m sure his spices are secret! But that’s just my uneducated guess.

Mark, I’m going to try your salsa recipe too. I’ll probably chop some onion in there too, because I put onion in almost everything, but I want to check out that spice you recommended!

Goose

Miss Kim - Hang in there! The struggles you describe can be a normal part of the process of learning how to make this way of eating work within our own individual circumstances and the broader society and environment. A particularly stressful period of days combined with being overly hungry and having calorie rich foods available seems like it could definitely put a dent in one's resolve. I'm glad your husband is on the mend. Learn what you can from this week's challenges, then put them behind you and make the "next right choice."

abible - Recovering is better than relapsing, right? :D If salt feels troublesome for you, Tony, it makes sense to me that you might want to eliminate it (at least for a time). Overall, that sounds like a solid week of progress, to me.

Noella - Congratulations on another 2 pounds down this week, and 59 pounds in 5 months! Good for you! Your diligent efforts are delivering results, and it seems like you have some powerful motivating factors driving those efforts. I'm sure that renewal of energy, balance and flexibility provides a thrill. I eagerly await that next "milestone day," and those that follow as you continue to pursue improved health, energy and well-being.

NateKruse - A couple of things that may be worth taking into account when assembling those potato fries - while I'm not sure the specific version of McCormick Cajun seasoning you were using, keep in mind that it could contribute a significant amount of sodium. Remember the general recommendation,
In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food.
JeffN wrote:[The guidelines] allow for people to sprinkle salt at the table on the surface of the food to taste, which would add about 500-1000mg more and still allow for ideal ratios, again without counting or measuring. Several studies (McDougall, DASH, Premier, Pritikin, etc) have shown this to be effective.
That second batch with the red potatoes and no added salt, oil or sugar looks like a winner to me! Some general concepts for all participants regarding cooking methods -
Mark Cooper wrote:Something to keep in mind (generally speaking) the more a method of preparation tends to "dry out" a food (removing water), the greater degree to which the calorie density of that particular food is raised and the less satiating the result will be.
JeffN wrote:Yes, all these "gadgets" can be used along with the principles of calorie density but the best cooking methods to preserve calorie density are water-based like steaming, boiling, water sautéing. This doesn't mean you can't microwave, bake, broil, roast, etc but those methods all dry out your food. Some drying will have little to no impact on calorie density, but eventually it can increase the calorie density to a point that matters (boiled potatoes to crispy potato chips).
Jeff discusses these considerations in some detail in this thread on Homemade Potato Chips.
JeffN wrote:It depends on how thick you slice them and how crisp you make them. The thinner they are and the crisper they are, the drier they will be. This would increase the calorie density as increased water content is the main factor lowering calorie density.

Many people make them because they like the crispness and the crunch and, without realizing it (as you have seen), that because of their increased calorie density, they are more likely to trigger the pleasure trap.

There is a way you can tell, though it takes some work. Weigh the potatoes before you cook them and then weigh them afterwards. The calories would be about the same but the difference in weight would be the water loss and would increase the calorie density accordingly

For instance,

A raw potato is about 350 cal/lb
A boiled potato is about 395 cal/lnb
A baked potato is about 422 cal/lb

As you can see, the more we cook it, and the drier it gets, the more the calorie density goes up. The difference in these numbers (350-422) will not matter. However, slice them thin and cook them crisp, and, as you saw, the calorie density can go up to 1500 cal/lb and more.

The thinner they are, and the crisper you cook them, the drier they are (as cooking decreases water content) & the more likely they are to be in the range you saw at the Pritikin website.

This is why when I make them, I slice them very thick, about 3/8" or more and just lightly brown them on each side under a broiler. This keeps them moist and chewy but lower in calorie density. I call them Chubby Chips.

Here is the recipe and a picture of them...

https://www.facebook.com/JeffNovickRD/p ... 25/?type=1

In Health
Jeff

squealcat - Kudos! I'm glad you are happy with your results this week, it seems the "talking to" you gave yourself was effective if it got you back on track. :thumbsup: One observation I would offer - at least for me, giving my attention to the preload recommendation and the 50/50 plate has really been a great help in "solving" point number 9, without having to ruminate over it too much.

Sue Ancora-imparo - You are off to a great start! Making these changes in behavior can be tough, particularly those changes that are the most significant departure from our previous patterns. You are absolutely correct that small things "here and there" can accumulate more quickly than we might realize without attention. I can totally see how this way of eating could feel extreme (especially in the beginning), and I imagine your willpower is getting a real workout; by diligently following the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you are doing exactly the right things and it will get easier over time. Jeff included some reflections on willpower in the March and April MWL threads.
JeffN wrote:When you eat, make sure your choices always include a minimally processed starch. This is 100% true for MWL too. The starch should be about 50% of the volume of the food you eat. Do not wait an hour to eat the starch after the vegetables.

Just reaching for vegetables, salads or fruit is not going to do it in the long run and you will most likely end up overeating later in the day, or week. This is because the satiety from vegetables, salad and fruit is not the same or as long lasting as the satiety from starch and can set you up to overeat/binge later. This may happen within the day or it may happen after several days. Then you end up wondering why you are eating salads and vegetables and not losing weight and often think, I just need to eat “more” salad, veggies or fruit. To break the cycle, always eat starch with your veggies and/or fruits.

If you have not seen it, it would be of benefit to watch Dr Lisle’s video on, “Will Power: What it Is & How it Works”
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -08-28-18/

The most important part is his discussion on decision making (by the judges) and their blood glucose level. The best way to maintain steady blood glucose levels (and your willpower to make good decisions), is to eat when hungry and include starch when you do. Not eating when hungry, fasting, time restricted eating, eating by the clock, etc and you may run into low blood sugar and hunger and perhaps, some unhealthy choices.
Just continuing to do our best is the best any of us can do. :)

AmandaSue - Good for you - learning from the challenges on those tough days, and hanging on to those lessons is really important! I'm so glad to hear that you are treating yourself with kindness and compassion and gaining confidence. Looking over your assessment of the checklist, it seems like allocating time for food prep and making sure you're including an adequate amount of starch in each meal should get you right back on track - those seem like quite attainable goals. :D

MaryP - Woo-hoo! 12 days on track! Consistently hitting 9/10 points is great. One thing that helps me find the motivation to go for a walk everyday - I just tell myself I'm going to walk for at least 5 minutes and once I get moving, it feels much easier to make that "5 minute walk" a more appropriate length. :)

rlechols - Wow! Big congratulations on being down 70 lbs and achieving a BMI in the normal range! That is no small achievement, and with improvements in your biomarkers and a new (smaller) wardrobe, too! That sounds like a doctor's visit that was actually pretty fun. :D On to next week!
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby chaz01 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks Nate!

I'll have to give your approach a try. I was going to try these tonight, but didn't have the right potatoes on hand. I also need to be on the lookout for your "fry cutter".

Instead, I made sweet potato fries. After cutting up 2 sweet potatoes into fry-like shapes the old fashioned way, I baked them with a parchment lined baking sheet at 410 for about 25-30, flipping them over half way through. They were still very moist, so I finished them off under the broiler for about 7-10 minutes, watching them carefully so they don't burn. When they start to brown a little bit, they are perfect!

Chuck

NateKruse wrote:
NateKruse wrote:
Chaz,

Ok, the red potatoes in 1/2 inch fries, soaked in water for about 2 hours, and air fried on parchment paper at 430° for 26 minutes turned out great. They taste like potatoes but the consistency was surprisingly good and super easy to make. They also have no added salt, oil, or sugar!
chaz01

Postby Judy_Bell » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi All,
This week I had zero gain/loss. That's ok, I will have a better week next week.
As far as the guidelines go, I was pretty hit or miss.

I succeeded on points 1, 2, 3,5, 7, 8, 9
And did not do so well on points 4, 6, 10
Point 4 troubles: On Sunday, my mom asked me to make and join her for dinner. The meal she chose was an Orzo dish with Shrimp. I followed the recipe, which included butter/oil. I did have one helping, but only took one shrimp.
Point 6 troubles: See point 4 troubles :roll:
And, of course, point #10 - my nemesis :-P Still haven't even started to incorporate exercise.

However, on a good note, I had some bloodwork done recently, and got the results and today had a telephone consultation with my cardiologist. Due to this new way of eating (since February 2020), my blood pressure rarely reaches 100 over anything.

My heart attack was in February 2019. I have been on a bunch of drugs since then, and take them religiously.
I don't have labs from heart attack day, but other results since have been:
7/19/19 - Total cholesterol - 167, HDL - 72, LDL - 77
11/6/19 - Total Chol - 128, HDL - 72, LDL - 42
5/20/20: Total Cholesterol - 96, HDL - 52, LDL - 31
My cardiologist is so happy, he is willing to wean me off some of the drugs I am taking (for high cholesterol and High blood pressure).

I consider this a BIG win! I wish everybody good health.
Judy_Bell

Postby taymariekay » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a 5’ 8” female at 184 lbs. 29 years old. I lost one pound since Sunday. 15 lbs down since Feb. Had two months of not doing MWL and no loss or gain then got back on track.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I have only been able to do this with my dinner. Difficult with breakfast and lunch due to time restraints at work. 30% success
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. -I do a fruit/oatmeal 50/50 plate at breakfast and starch/veg 50/50 plate for lunch and dinner as well. 100%.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. I’m adding a small amount of condiments to the surface of my food only. 100%.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). I am only eating 1 tbsp of flax on my oatmeal, as a medicinal component for my endometriosis. Maybe it is not needed? 90%.
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. I find myself snacking on fruit when I get my inevitable sweet tooth during the day. Other than that I’m eating only when hungry and until comfortably full (I think) 95%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I work in retail so I’m active all day and walk my dog daily. 100%.

I would say I’m still having a hard time not mentally tallying my calories. I food journal daily and find myself going back and mentally tracking how much I’ve eaten. I think I’m just terrified of overeating since I have the capacity for it and have a past of binging. I’m actually not as big of a volume eater like I used to be and I haven’t binged in months. But I’m finally down 15 lbs since the beginning of February and I just want so badly to continue to see progress. If I had to guess I probably average 1800-2000 calories daily. Is that too much?
taymariekay

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program