I'm at work . . . and I'm cooking!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm at work . . . and I'm cooking!

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 am

FINALLY got a crock pot, and while I was at it, a rice cooker! So right this second, while I am 30 miles away from my kitchen, a lovely barley and veggie stew is cooking, as well as 4 servings of brown rice! :thumbsup: Ain't technology WONDERFUL!??

It will be SO much easier to stay on track this way. I am barely able to get done what I have to get done every day w/out cooking--I am pretty sure I would never stay on the wagon if I had to start cooking again. This way, it's all being done for me!

Oh, and I went to the gym this a.m. as well. It was good to be back! :nod:
ETeSelle

Postby hope101 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Good for you, ET. You aren't wasting any time, are you? Let me know how your brown rice turns out. I haven't perfected that yet with my pots and pans method, and if I knew a rice cooker could do a good job I would probably break down and buy one.
hope101

brown rice

Postby limberone » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Hope101,

You asked me a question about brown rice two weeks ago, and I forgot to reply. I had a plastic steamer that my sister gave me many years ago. I loved it. Then my sister replaced that with a Russell Hobbs stainless steel with a teflon coating rice cooker/steamer. I love that one, too. I've actually only cooked Spanish Rice (with white rice, water, tomato sauce, onions, bell peppers, garlic, and oil) on the stove. With brown rice and also with rice mixes that contain brown rice, wild rice, rye berries, wheat berries, I always use the rice cooker. It always makes nice fluffy rice that my children and husband (and anyone who is visiting) always love.
limberone

Postby hope101 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Oh, thanks limberone. I got a recipe for cooking brown rice in the oven yesterday and think I will try that. If I can't get the texture right I will definitely look at the rice cooker you mentioned. I like my rice slightly on the dry side, so that each grain is a bit distinct, and so far my stove top method is too mushy. Does your cooker make it on the drier side?
hope101

brown rice

Postby limberone » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:05 am

Hope101,

Well, I think I know what you mean about mushy rice versus distinct grains of rice. When I cook small amounts of rice (about 2.25 cups of brown rice) there is always a crust of rice on the bottom of the cooker. Once cooled, I simply use two dinner forks to break apart all that rice (AFTER removing the rice from the cooker -- because of not wanting to scratch the Teflon coating), and then it tastes just fine, and there is no waste. All the rest of the rice, even before it is cooled off (I serve the rice directly from the cooker onto the dinner plate), is separate and distinct. I am reminded of something I heard about people in Asia finishing every last grain of rice in their bowl before asking for more. Or maybe someone just made that up? Anyway, when you mentioned the idea of oven-cooked rice, I remembered the recipe for Indian Rice in The New McDougall Cookbook, pages 318-319. It is cooked in the oven. I followed the directions, and there was rice soup in which the rice was not cooked at all! So after putting the dish back into the oven for a long time to get the water to evaporate, the rice became mushy. I threw it all away.

I do remember something for sure I learned about Japanese cooking. They really do not use (or sometimes even have) ovens. Waste of space and also a waste of energy. So, I use my appliances whenever possible instead of the oven. But I live in Texas, where turning on the oven really heats up the place that is already super-hot to begin with for most of the year! :)
limberone

Postby hope101 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 am

Limberone: Thanks for the info. I must admit I don't prepare a lot of meals that rely on the oven, so I had planned to try my rice when I did some baked veggies or such, but the ease of what you are describing and consistent results sounds very appealing. :-D Now to only find the brand of rice cooker you mentioned. Do you mind me asking where you found yours?
hope101

rice cooker

Postby limberone » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:54 am

Hope101,

I remember that the first rice cooker (brand name Oster, made of hard plastic) I had was from a department store, Dillard's, because it was on my wedding registry, and my sister purchased it for me. Then several years later, she reminded me about the dangers that seem to be present when cooking foods in plastic, and reasoned that why should I keep using a plastic steamer for rice and veggies? At that time, she presented me with the new one. Not sure where it came from, but I am guessing another department store? I sent her an email, and if I hear back from her, I will let you know! If you try the rice in the oven, please let me know what it is like, as I would love to have an oven rice recipe that actually works! Thank you!
limberone

rice cooker

Postby limberone » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm

My sister said that she bought the rice cooker at Macy's and she also has seen it on Amazon. Hope your weekend is great!
limberone

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program