Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

Postby SpudInTheBuff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 am

I had a complete fail for the weekend. For some reason, I keep reaching for whatever is available when I'm hungry. I think it may partly be because I've be extremelly exhausted both mentally and physically from work. Thus my self control and will power have gone out the window. More like made a mad dash out the window. I actually gained over the weekend. It's great to see everyone's progress though! It will keep me motivated to try, try, again! I've decided that I will change up my starch every few days because for some reason, when I restrict a certain food, I'm craving it! Luvmyveggies - I think I'm going to have to do what you did and just get everything out of the house + office.

Today
B: Banana + rooibos tea
L: Rice + steamed broccoli & cauliflower + kimchi
D: same as above

Wish me luck!
SpudInTheBuff

Postby ajhondrngal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Since I posted last, I started slipping up a bit. And then DH shared his cold with me so I'm feeling a bit like death warmed over. I've been working on new goals for April.

30 days of MWL starting tomorrow.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby kmills » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:01 am

I'm starting now :) and going 10 days

Plan of the day please let me know if you think this is ok

B 1/2 c toasted oats over a bananna
L split pea soup with 1/4 c split peas, 1tbsp barley, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 potato, 1/2 onion, 2 cups no-chicken broth
D 1 1/2 C mixed veggies with 1 c no-chicken broth, 1c unsweetened almond milk, spices, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast all over a baked potato
S red potato with peach salsa
kmills

Postby Nekkotronik » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 am

Day 5 down 5 pounds! My hubby keeps telling me I'm losing weight so I guess it's showing! I'm just trying to remember to keep it simple, that seems to be what this diet is about. I'm also trying to BE PREPARED! Last night when I was hungry, there was good food available to keep me from straying and it was like a blessing. Everyone remember to plan ahead and be prepared! :) Keep it up!
Today:
B: apples and rice cakes
L: brown rice and veggies
D: yams and asparagus
S: unsweetened apple sauce
Nekkotronik

Postby luvmyveggies » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

Rubricalformula, Welcome aboard and good luck on your taters.
SpudinTheBuff, You've got this!
AJ, I hope your cold gets better soon!
kmills, Your menu looks great, although with oats in the morning (not the same starch all day long) its not an actual Mary's Mini. But if you decided to follow that I know that you would have great success with your weight loss goals and would feel great too! So please feel welcomed with your menu and give us your daily updates.
Nekkotronik, Congrats on your 5 pound weight loss! You are doing great!!!

As for my menu yesterday its ok, but I am pressing forward!

B: Banana, carrots, apple, brown rice tortilla
S: (this is where I messed up) A handful of cashews and almonds
L: Spanish Rice
D: 2 big bowls of spicy black beans and rice.
luvmyveggies

Postby kmills » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 am

Switching breakfast to potato topped with cooked cabbage broccoli and cauliflower :)
kmills

Postby ajhondrngal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Good thing about the cold is I don't feel like eating anything. No problem sticking with the plan. If I'm going to eat at all I just as well eat well.

B: (stepped off MWL a bit) a couple pieces of toast
L: Strawberries and a banana
D: Spanish rice, broccoli and cauliflower

ajhondrngal

Postby luvmyveggies » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 am

This will be my last day on the Mary's Mini. I won't be able to participate for the next several days. If there are some still going strong by next Monday I will join you again.

Yesterday's Menu:
B: Banana, Apple, Spinach, Romaine, Rice Cakes
L: Veggie broth, Peas, B. Rice, Soy Sauce
S: Veggie broth, Peas, B. Rice, Soy Sauce
D: Brown Rice, Veggie Broth, hoisin, celery, bell peppers, cilantro,lime
luvmyveggies

Postby plantstrong13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 am

My sister and I began Mary's Mini Challenge on March 31st. We've been eating plant based since July 2013, but felt we needed to re-focus on our food choices. So far, we are both down almost 4 pounds! We chose the potato category, and we are both enjoying this! :-)
plantstrong13

Postby kmills » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 am

Day 3 and am officially a potato addict, who knew how amazingly delicious they could be.
The first day I had potato with steamed veggies, potato with peach salsa, split pea potato soup.

Yesterday I had 4 potatoes all with peach salsa. I slice them like thick chips, top each with a little salsa, and instant filling wonderful meal.

Today I may start with hash browns, then potato with salsa, then veggies over potato with a salsa potato for dessert.

I feel good, not hungry, and excited to be on this journey.
kmills

Postby Marla » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi all, I hope you don't mind a supportive lurker asking a somewhat off-topic question. :)

mahami wrote:Last night I made aloo bhortha and I also ate a plate of microwaved broccoli. Aloo bhortha is a bangladeshi food which is commonly eaten with rice and lentil.
I boiled 4 russet potatoes and skinned them then mashed them with 2 chopped roma tomatoes, a bunch of chopped cilantro, green onions, chat masala and salt to taste. It was wonderful. It's also good with red onions, ginger, green chilies, etc.

Mahami, this sounds wonderful. I bought some chat masala (2 different brands to try) from my local Indian grocery. Could you share a little more about how you prepare the other things you sometimes add? In another post you said you add shredded red cabbage. I was wondering if you cook the onion, cabbage, or any other ingredients before adding them to the mashed potatoes. I have been obsessed with trying this ever since I read your posts. Thank you!

Btw I avoid excess sodium, and there is some in the chat masala, so if I like it I will make my own chat masala using less black salt.
Marla

Postby AnnieMaim » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm starting a Mary's Mini today. Glad this thread is here to give me some inspiration and ideas!

Today I've had a sweet potato, a whole bunch of mashed potatoes with kale mixed in, and some broccoli & cauliflower (winter mix - from a freezer bag).

Going to go read up now and get some more ideas!
AnnieMaim

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm switching back into Mary's Mini starting tomorrow. Got to get back on track after a birthday and falling prey to the pleasure trap again.

ajhondrngal

Postby Nean » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Plan to join you starting Friday, because the last week has been SAD indeed and tomorrow is not looking any better. But I do want to get back on track. I feel much better in so may ways when I am plant based with no CRAP or SOS.

Le Starch = Potato
B: potato with berries
L & D: potato with frozen veg, salad or salsa
S: small boiled potato.

First Saturday lunch will be split - mini meal of salad at a restaurant, later 'meal' of potato if hungry in the afternoon.
Second Saturday is at a Nutritarian retreat. Will eat what is put in front of me.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Yesterday was day one. I had some small hiccups, but overall the day was much much better.

B: rice, rice milk, sugar/cinn, banana
L: mac and not cheese, carrot and strawberries (23 year old wanted a lesson on how to make mac and not cheese)
D: potato skillet with onions and red peppers

Today:
B: rice, rice milk, sugar/cinn, banana
L: mac and not cheese, carrot, apple
D: Spanish rice, beans, green salad

Tomorrow lunch will be rice because the mac and not cheese is now gone. I've also noticed it doesn't hang around as long as rice.

ajhondrngal

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program