Making oven fries

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Making oven fries

Postby kirakira8 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:31 am

Does anyone have tips on making fatfree oven fries with spices on them? I'm guessing the potatoes could be tossed with water/soy sauce and then dusted with spices, but how to keep them from sticking to the pan?

Has anyone found parchment paper or Silpats to work better? Or is a light spray of oil okay in this instance?

Thanks!
kirakira8

Postby Reni » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:38 am

I have used parchment paper with much success. I also have a pizza stone that was well seasoned over the last year or so (similar to a cast iron skillet). When baking I mostly use it for things that may stick.

Love oven fries! Hope yours come out well. :)
Reni

No sticking problems

Postby Pat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 am

I just use a non-stick cookie sheet, spread the fries out and sprinkle with a little coarse salt.

A couple "secrets." First, don't turn for about 10-15 minutes until there is a good crust on the bottom of the potatoes. Then turn carefully with a thin spatula. Second, I find red potatoes tend to stick, so I always use Yukon Gold which always turn out perfectly.

Good luck.

{at
Pat

Postby MaryW » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Parchment paper is AWESOME! I use it when I bake absolutely everything and nothing ever sticks. I just give the pan a shake, and everything slides right off.
MaryW

Parchment paper works for us.

Postby f1jim » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Not just with potatos but sweet potato chips and tortilla chips too.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

I use a high heat. I often put mine in a grill stir fry pan and do it outside on the grill.

A nice treat, sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning and make cocktail sauce for dipping.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program