Goodbye Grape Nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Goodbye Grape Nuts

Postby flowerkisser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Not only has Post added the ISP but the front of the box says, as a come on to buy, "The Original cereal" in large red letters, as though nothing had changed. Deception, and meant to lure us to buy the ISP enhanced product, to my way of thinking. If you feel you want to react to this, please call the Post consumer line at 1-800-431-7678 and tell them what you think. May not make any changes in their thinking but it certainly won't hurt. When I called, I asked the rep I spoke with to pass on my strong objections to this change to the administration and the nutrition dept. Also, all the Walmarts in my area are selling the new product.
flowerkisser

Postby RebusCannebus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm

From the Post website, I see these ingredients:
Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Isolated Soy Protein, Salt, Whole Grain Barley Flour, Malt Extract, Dried Yeast.

Now I know that this thread is concerned with the addition of ISP, but should we not also be concerned with the fact that the second ingredient is not a whole-grain flour? I seem to recall sometime a year or two ago noticing that while the Safeway store brand remained 100 percent whole grain, that Grape Nuts had lost it. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.
Peter
RebusCannebus

Postby dstewart » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Kashi used to have a Grape Nuts-like cereal, much better tasting than Grape Nuts. But it's no longer in their product line.

Hang on. In six months or a year, they'll add coconut oil to it. "Now with healthful coconut oil! Still the original Grape Nuts!"
dstewart

Postby SusanC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 am

The Ezekiel Sprouted Grain cereal is really good and has a similar texture. Once I found that I stopped eating Grape-Nuts.
http://www.foodforlife.com/product/cereals/ezekiel-49-sprouted-whole-grain-cereal
SusanC

Postby stoumi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

Well, this is discouraging. I noticed the change on the box a few weeks ago when I was shopping. I noticed the ISP right away and passed on this new formula Grape Nuts. Thankfully I was still able to get the generic brand from the supermarket with the ISP and cheaper. Of course their formula might be changing as well. Guess we wait and see.
stoumi

Previous

Return to The Lounge