Goodbye Grape Nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Goodbye Grape Nuts

Postby Vegan-Vegan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 am

Just wanted to let everyone know, since it's easy to miss, that Grape Nuts has changed their ingredients. The front of the package has the added claim "now with 8g of protein" and in the ingredients is added isolated soy protein. WHY!!??? Ugghhh.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses. Plato
Vegan-Vegan

Re: Goodbye Grape Nuts

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am

Grrrrr. I've quit eating cold cereal anyway, but it is too bad about GrapeNuts climbing on the "protein" bandwagon.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby geo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 am

I just finished off a box this week...you might also want to check the store brands as most of the larger grocery chains sell their own version of Grape Nuts (same ingredients/looks/taste/cheaper price...probably made in the same processing plant).
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 am

I just spent a few unproductive minutes trying to find a fat-free vegan grape nuts recipe online. Most of the ones I found have buttermilk as an ingredient, but maybe you could subsititute a vegan "milk".
Gweithgar

Postby Vegan-Vegan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am

geo wrote:I just finished off a box this week...you might also want to check the store brands as most of the larger grocery chains sell their own version of Grape Nuts (same ingredients/looks/taste/cheaper price...probably made in the same processing plant).

Yes Walmarts store brand is still the old recipe but don't know if that will last. May just be using up stock piled boxes.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses. Plato
Vegan-Vegan

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

Vegan-Vegan wrote:
geo wrote:I just finished off a box this week...you might also want to check the store brands as most of the larger grocery chains sell their own version of Grape Nuts (same ingredients/looks/taste/cheaper price...probably made in the same processing plant).

Yes Walmarts store brand is still the old recipe but don't know if that will last. May just be using up stock piled boxes.

Well, you could stock up; the stuff keeps.
Gweithgar

Postby flowerkisser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks, Vegan-vegan. I have just called the Post customer line at 1-800-431-7678 and asked them why they have done this....because people want more protein and it keeps you full longer. I told them I didn't want it and would no longer buy the product. I asked the rep to pass my comments on to her administration and the nutrition department. If you feel the same, give them a call. To refresh our memories about why we don't want ISO, I re-read" The Starch Solution" p. 143. I also asked if they used non GMO soybeans and she said they were not in a position to verify their source so that means to me that they are using GMO soybeans.
flowerkisser

Postby ronald11103 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Vegan-Vegan wrote:..."now with 8g of protein" and in the ingredients is added isolated soy protein. WHY!!???

Why?? To increase sales and profits! "Protein" is a big seller right now. Everyone (except us) want more of it! If some is good, more is better, right??
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby didi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

If you are selling something, the object is to sell people what they want (or think they want thanks to marketing). You'll never make money trying to sell people what they don't want.

didi
didi

Postby plants-and-carbs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Dang!

I don't eat much cold cereal, but that was my favorite one.

Shoot.
plants-and-carbs

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I used to love it but stopped eating it b/c I used to have it on soy yogurt and it make me want the soy yogurt too much LOL. So I got used to being w/out it several years ago. Still, too bad!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby f1jim » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm

In my travels I found that the WalMart version was healthier than the Post version. Even then, look before you buy. These things can change fast!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby astronaut23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

As Dr. Esselstyn says in his book...ALWAYS READ THE INGREDIENTS
astronaut23

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Honestly, I do my best to avoid anything WITH ingredients. If I stick Real Food I don't have to worry!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby astronaut23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Honestly, I do my best to avoid anything WITH ingredients. If I stick Real Food I don't have to worry!

I try to stick to things with simple ingredients I know what they are like the ingredients on my rolled oats says "Rolled Oats"...lol And your right...Real Food doesn't have all those crazy ingredients you see in processed foods.
astronaut23

Next

Return to The Lounge