McDougall's news letter

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougall's news letter

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

I need to see the windsurfing action shots. Where are the photos of high speed reaches and jibes? For that matter, we need to see a McDougall retreat at the Gorge or Maui. The good doctor schooling the locals at the Hatch or Hookipa? Priceless. :)
All kidding aside, you two look great, and are clearly great walking advertisements for healthy living. Best wishes for your whole family for the New Year.
vgpedlr

Postby Debbie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I went back and looked at the picture again and the only one I see that is "fat" is that super cute baby girl!!! BUT babies are supposed to be fat. So it cant be her that was being talked about.

I am amazed at how incredible everyone in that pic looks.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Waingapu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Dr. McDougall is one of the few men age 65-66 who looks better without a t-shirt. And that while not even being in some "pose" to produce the optimal look.
I think Mary looks better in her swim suit as well.
Not saying anything bad about the t-shirts, but for folks over 60 who are trim, such attire can often hide their positive slender features.
Most other folks wear them to hide their excess.

I just turned 63 and unless I stay at my 19.4 BMI, should I add on any upper body muscle and facial weight (which I would prefer), I inevitably put on a pound or two to right around my belly area simultaneously. Abs aren't a option unless I want to go below a 19.0 BMI... and I don't want that.

I think its great to see examples of normal "healthy and active" men and women over age 65. It puts things in perspective. When I say "normal", I mean instead of those few "gym nuts" who are so often portrayed as "incredible".

John McDougall wrote:Here is a recent picture (Summer 2012) of Mary and I (ages 65 and 66).

Would you like to see more?

Waingapu

Postby John McDougall » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:17 pm

You caught me. Chloe is a milk drinker.

Breast milk, that makes her a second generation starchivore.

BTW I have recent pictures of me windsurfing at Bodega Bay, CA and the North Shore of Hawaii.

Here is an earlier one of me at Bodega: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... nshine.htm

On a good day my jibes are OK. On a bad day I am wet.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Adrienne » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:38 pm

When I first read GG's post I thought it was referring to last month's newsletter, you the know the one that discussed the President:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/nov/121100.pdf

Maybe I am wrong.

I thought the oil reference meant that the oil was getting to his brain and therefore Dr McD was not thinking properly. :)
Adrienne

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Adrienne wrote:When I first read GG's post I thought it was referring to last month's newsletter, you the know the one that discussed the President:

Maybe I am wrong.

I thought the oil reference meant that the oil was getting to his brain and therefore Dr McD was not thinking properly. :)

I did, too, until I saw some of the comments about the t-shirts, etc. So you were not alone!!
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Debbie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:
Adrienne wrote:When I first read GG's post I thought it was referring to last month's newsletter, you the know the one that discussed the President:

Maybe I am wrong.

I did, too, until I saw some of the comments about the t-shirts, etc. So you were not alone!!

Actually, I think GG was referring to last months newsletter but the next poster remarks on the pic with the family and the body fat(?), so there is where the confusion lies.

I kept wondering what GG was referring to, forgetting last months newsletter was about sugar. hahaha
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby gradstudentmommy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm

The McDougalls look incredible! To say otherwise is ludicrous. I am much younger than Mary and would give anything to look as good as she looks. Seeing pictures such as these is part of the reason I gave up the low-carb plan my naturopath had recommended and recommitted to the McDougall Plan. I have no desire to look like Dr. Cordain or Dr. Atkins!
gradstudentmommy

Postby John McDougall » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I straightened my shirt and took this one today (1-2-2013)

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby carollynne » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Very healthy looking family photo! You do look better in the suits!! Thanks for all that you have done in my life, Dr McDougall!!

from the bottom of my heart!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby nicoles » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I think John and Mary and the whole family look great! In bathing suits and in t-shirts :wink: Thanks for everything, Dr McDougall!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby rijman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Dr. McDougall doesn't lack for sense of humor. We should all be so lucky to look as good at 65 (I'm not there yet). In all seriousness though from this light hearted thread I realize Dr. McDougall is under pressure to maintain a healthy weight because he is a diet guru in the public eye. Not that he has to fight his weight following his diet, but something he has to be concerned with.
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Postby jewagar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:11 pm

x
Last edited by jewagar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want peace, be sure everyone's dignity is intact." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
jewagar

Postby Melinda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 pm

You two look fabulous! Thanks for all you do!
Melinda

Postby ParsleyPatch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Can never say it enough ~~ thank you one million times for all your help. You are walking inspirations and look fabulous!!! :thumbsup:
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge