Denise

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Denise

Postby Debbie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:30 am

plants-and-carbs wrote:
didi wrote:Thrasymachus, maybe you should carefully check out "Dr." Gary Null.

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/null.html

especially scroll down to the part about his credentials.

Didi

I don't care too much about Quack watch. They beat down anyone that is "alternative" and does not push drugs on people. While maybe I don't love Null, overall, he puts out good info and even recommends a diet very close to the Mcdougall diet. He also is very vocal about people needing to stop taking so many meds because they are a scam based on the drug companies "hypnotizing" people.

Dr. McDougall was on that list (if he is).
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby healthy-longevity » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:45 am

ulialen wrote:
RichardK wrote:HealthyLongevity and PlantPositive are the new best kept secrets of cholesterol denialists such as Denise Minger. These anti-darwinists wants us to believe that homo-sapiens is the only specimen on the face of this planet who is immune to the harms of excess serum cholesterol levels ("it's not the cholesterol, it's the wheat and the inflammation"). For someone to claim that these online cholesterol denialists and low-carb pushers are sincere goes beyond my comprehension.

True!

Thanks for all of your support.

Keep an eye out on Plant Positives youtube page over the next few days as we should be seeing another batch of videos shortly.
healthy-longevity

Postby Katydid » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:21 am

healthy-longevity wrote:
ulialen wrote:
RichardK wrote:HealthyLongevity and PlantPositive are the new best kept secrets of cholesterol denialists such as Denise Minger. These anti-darwinists wants us to believe that homo-sapiens is the only specimen on the face of this planet who is immune to the harms of excess serum cholesterol levels ("it's not the cholesterol, it's the wheat and the inflammation"). For someone to claim that these online cholesterol denialists and low-carb pushers are sincere goes beyond my comprehension.

True!

Thanks for all of your support.

Keep an eye out on Plant Positives youtube page over the next few days as we should be seeing another batch of videos shortly.

Excellent news! I've watched them all and can't wait for more! If I had one wish, it would be to be able to own the whole lot on DVD so I could pass them around to those less computer savvy.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby RichardK » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:07 am

Denise Minger tried to sabotage the truth around China Study by trying to fool her readers to not to see the forest for the trees. Campbell & Junshi (1994) actually reported that the chief correlate to all chronic disease was serum cholesterol concentration (p=0,01). Instead, Minger aimed to trick the reader into believing that there was something sketchy on the way the dietary intakes were reported and the way interpretation of these were formulated. Congrats for anyone who thinks an airhead does a better job in epidemiology than Sir Richard Peto who invented the meta-analysis concept and sorted out the China Study raw data for Campbell.

An article by Pedersen et al. (2011) is one the best kept secrets of online dietary confusionists.

"Recent critics of the role of SFA have questioned the rigour of the early dietary trials of CVD prevention and questioned current public health policy on limiting the intake of SFA (8) they suggest that more attention should be paid to increased intake of PUFA (9). The trials demonstrate unequivocally that replacing SFA, largely from dairy and meat fats (but in the Leren trial also with some TFA), by PUFA reduces serum cholesterol levels and CHD risk (9). That replacement of SFA by a variety of carbohydrate-containing foods also reduces CHD risk may be inferred from ecological studies, e.g. in Finland. CHD was also almost non-existent in rural China when mean cholesterol levels were approximately 3·5 mmol/l (1350 mg/l), with total fat intakes only about 15 % of energy and extremely low intakes of SFA (10,11). These observations, replicated in many other countries, should not be ignored even if meta-analyses of prospective cohort studies suggest no independent associations of SFA intake with CHD risk (2). The null results of the latter studies (2) probably reflect measurement error, residual confounding, over-adjustment by covariates on the causal pathway and large variations in plasma cholesterol compared to variations in intake of dietary fat (3,12–15). The role of SFA risks may also be overlooked, given the strong emphasis on TFA (16) and the incorrect proposition that the CHD epidemic in affluent societies has been primarily linked to a high consumption of TFA(17)".
http://www.unilever-pro-nutrition-sante ... -et-al.pdf

In fact, we are now seeing that elevated cholesterol is not just an independent causal factor influencing CHD, we are also seeing the causal link between elevated cholesterol and aggressive, fatal prostate cancer. Campbell's ecologic findings fall very nicely to the big picture that is emerging. This is the big picture Minger aims to sabotage and distort.

Cholesterol and Cancer: Answers and New Questions

“Considerable evidence supports the plausibility of an association between low cholesterol and reduced risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Several studies have reported an association between statin use and reduced risk of advanced or high-grade prostate cancer (15, 16). In addition, an inhibitory effect of low cholesterol on prostate cancer progression is biologically plausible. Laboratory evidence suggests that lowering cholesterol levels could inhibit cell-signaling pathways that are important for prostate cancer progression (17). This hypothesis is supported by experiments in mice in which lowering serum cholesterol with dietary modification or a cholesterol-lowering drug reduced the cholesterol content, size, and vascularity of human xenograft prostate tumors (18).”
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/11/2805.full
RichardK

Postby Debbie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am

Katydid wrote:[quote="healthy-longevityThanks for all of your support.

Excellent news! I've watched them all and can't wait for more! If I had one wish, it would be to be able to own the whole lot on DVD so I could pass them around to those less computer savvy.

Kate[/quote]
Maybe Ive missed it, can someone post the youtube channel link?
Thanks.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby TerriT » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 am

According to Minger's website, she's 25 years old and "typically" spends 7 hours a day reading and writing about nutrition. She says she started college at 16, so if she graduated at 20, that means she has spent, at most, 5 years in self-directed study. Yet she feels she's qualified to critique the work of scientists and researchers who've spent decades in the fields of nutrition and health, and whose work, unlike hers, has actually been peer-reviewed.

Those who give credence to what she says are doing so because it's what they want to hear.
TerriT

Postby veggylvr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Congrats for anyone who thinks an airhead does a better job in epidemiology than Sir Richard Peto who invented the meta-analysis concept and sorted out the China Study raw data for Campbell.

According to Minger's website, she's 25 years old and "typically" spends 7 hours a day reading and writing about nutrition. She says she started college at 16, so if she graduated at 20, that means she has spent, at most, 5 years in self-directed study. Yet she feels she's qualified to critique the work of scientists and researchers who've spent decades in the fields of nutrition and health, and whose work, unlike hers, has actually been peer-reviewed.

Those who give credence to what she says are doing so because it's what they want to hear.

Absolutely! We shouldn't even waste time on her ramblings. People are drawn to Mingers because they're looking for good news about their bad habits, as Dr. McDougall would say.
veggylvr

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Well said guys.

The fact is, having read various commentaries on her "work", including Healthy Longevity's outstanding blog and Dr Campbell's masterful rebuttals, I honestly doubt whether Ms Minger would be capable of critiquing The Dorm Room Diet let alone The China Study. The only mystery about her as far as I'm concerned is WTF she was thinking even trying ?
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby Katydid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 am

Debbie wrote:
Katydid wrote:[quote="healthy-longevityThanks for all of your support.

Kate

Maybe Ive missed it, can someone post the youtube channel link?
Thanks.[/quote]

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCC2CA9893F2503B5

And

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDBBB98ACA18EF67C

In the second group, a series of videos reposing to criticism of the first group of videos, look for the series on Denise.

Kate
Katydid

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 am

didi:
Quackwatch is run by a failed psychiatrist who was deemed by a court not be credible. That site is a front for the pharmaceutical industry and the American Medical Association/AMA, which have created a worldwide pandemic of ill health since they removed lifestyle and dietary factors from the health equation to be replaced with pills and surgeries. Quackwatch lists McDougall's newsletter as a non-recommend periodical. (Not gonna link to it, it will only increase their search ranking.) Further contrary to the wishes of the failed psychiatrist, Gary Null is on the staff of Farleigh Dickinson University, which is a short drive away from me. So obviously, their smearing of his credentials is a libel.

I get a feeling alot of people on this site are shopping for alternatives since they are not ethical vegans and may jump to another shore:
didi wrote:Actually, I suspect Miss Minger is quite intelligent. ...

... I guess she is assuming this is what is causing the improvements in health, which is also what the low carbers insist on so that is something both camps have in common. ...

I expected she is quite well paid for her services and I don't see her as really caring about health -- hers or that of others, just like all the other low carb, high animal products, fad diet pushers. It is obvious that the only thing she brings is lame jokes and failed irony, while someone else is feeding her info and paying her bills.
Thrasymachus

Postby Katydid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 am

FYI the new plantpositive videos have been posted on YouTube. 44 (!) new videos :D - including a six part series on Gary Taubes. I know what I will be watching over my new year's break :lol:

Kate
Katydid

Postby veggylvr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 am

What is the one on Taubes called? I can't find it
veggylvr

Postby MikkoL » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 am

veggylvr wrote:What is the one on Taubes called? I can't find it

First 16 parts of this new playlist have some points about Taubes:

Nutrition Past and Future

I haven't yet watched all of those sixteen videos, but based on their titles I think it is safe to assume that those parts deal with his work...
MikkoL

Postby MikkoL » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 am

Katydid wrote:If I had one wish, it would be to be able to own the whole lot on DVD so I could pass them around to those less computer savvy.

I sent an e-mail to Plant Positive asking about the possibility of DVD or a torrent that could be burned to a DVD. His answer to these requests is as follows:

I am not planning other means of distribution at the moment because my objective is view count. I want this to be picked up by the mainstream media. Torrents and DVD sales will marginalize me. Selling a product would probably compromise my anonymity as well. My old scripts are all up on my site, and the new ones will be up in a week or so. I do want the information to be accessible but I want everyone to have an incentive to click on my channel.

Robert Lustig got on 60 Minutes because his "Bitter Truth" lecture got 2 million views. We have our work cut out for us. My (and I hope you'll agree, our) message goes against all of the big special interests. We have a higher hurdle to clear than others is we want to be noticed by the public at large. What is needed now is for prominent people on our side to share my videos and help me spread this message.

So, lets share the YouTube links as much as possible!
MikkoL

Postby healthy-longevity » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 am

Plant Positive's brilliant new video series should address some of the false beliefs here that the Paleo and low carb crowd are being "sincere" with their recommendations. Making money by hurting others is not fair game and I hope to lessen the confusion with my upcoming projects.

Lets keep pushing Plant Positive's videos far and wide as these should not go unnoticed!
healthy-longevity

Previous

Return to The Lounge