I'm gaining 1 pound a day in weight... help!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I'm gaining 1 pound a day in weight... help!

Postby Earthangel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Moonfruit wrote:Hi Ege Bamyasi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was consuming a lot of fat in the form of vegan sausages and the like, avocados, nuts and oils. I thought olive oil was healthy for many years, and added extra to salads just to get the fats in.

I figure I was consuming more than 2000 calories a day as I am overweight by at least 20 pounds.

I am worried right now because I am totally new to this concept of eating, and naturally I don’t trust it fully until I see with my own eyes that it works.

I am hoping to hear from people who have had the same issue, and hear that it’s normal and will subside.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Hi! When I started this Plan - I came from a 100% Raw Food Diet - mostly fruit. I had started gaining weight on the raw food diet - so I started the MWL Plan. I only had about 10 lbs to lose - At first - I gained a couple of lbs. - but I stuck with it - because I was so happy to be eating cooked starches and feeling satisfied eating. Sure enough - I started losing - it's slow because I don't have much weight to lose - but I'm losing!!!! AND I can tell from my clothes and by looking in the mirror that I'm getting in my best shape ever! SO - STICK WITH IT!!! If you stick with the plan - you will lose.
Amanda Newcomer

Join us at "McDougall Friends" on Facebook!
Earthangel

Postby Moonfruit » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Nettie wrote:I know I'm a little late chiming in, and you've gotten some good advice, but I do encourage you to be conscious of calorie density. Of the 4 things you mentioned you were eating ("potatoes, vegetables, peas, lentils and oats") 4 of them are starchy. You should limit your intake of starches to about 1/2 of your plate or less, and the rest should be green and yellow veggies, salads, etc.

When you start eating this way, remember that it takes a lot of water to process starches, so your body will retain some water until it gets used to the change in food. You will lose that water weight soon.

You'll be fine if you stick with the program.

Nettie

Hi Nettie,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm getting a little disheartened to keep hearing the words "limit starches" because the reason I chose to follow this path was the sole fact that there were no limitations on starches.

We should not have to limit our consumption, unless we are eating foods we should not be eating. Just look at animals in the wild, eating their natural diet - they do not limit what they eat.

In the book that led me to this diet, "The Starch Solution" there was no mention of limitation... on the contrary, I was under the impression that people had 3 and 4 servings at each meal - not half a plate full.

Can anyone explain the reason for this? Thank you! :)
Moonfruit

Postby goldilocks » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm sure many people do not have to limit starches. But for myself I find that if I eat too much starch (or fruit) at a particular meal and not enough vegetables, I don't feel satisfied even though I've eaten plenty of calories. It's weird, but I've experienced it many times. I'll eat a moderate serving of starch and lots of veggies and feel solid and balanced. But then there's more starch, like when I've packed a big lunch or made a lot to have left-overs. So I'll eat more starch, and after that I feel like I could keep on eating and eating, even though I would have been fine to stop before. I don't know why and might just be me, but I thought I'd share just in case you or others have a similar experience.

Pinkrose's advice has worked well for me. Eat your veggies as your main course, and treat your starch like it's dessert. If I want more food I have it, but I make sure to eat more veggies and not just more starch. So I never go hungry, and I don't have to limit my intake. But I'm figuring out the proportion of veggies to more calorie-dense foods that works best for me and trying to maintain that, even if I want an extra-large meal or an extra snack that day.
goldilocks

Postby funcrunch » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Moonfruit wrote:In the book that led me to this diet, "The Starch Solution" there was no mention of limitation... on the contrary, I was under the impression that people had 3 and 4 servings at each meal - not half a plate full.

Can anyone explain the reason for this? Thank you! :)

You are correct; Dr. McDougall named his book The Starch Solution instead of The Salad Solution for good reason! As I mentioned upthread, even in his Maximum Weight Loss book he doesn't recommend limiting starches to 1/2 the plate unless you are really impatient to lose weight. For long-term adherence, you are much better off eating starches to your heart's content, and treating green and yellow veggies as side dishes.
funcrunch

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:33 am

funcrunch wrote:I would caution against filling more than half the plate with green and yellow vegetables. Even in the Maximum Weight Loss book, the default ratio recommended is 2/3 starch to 1/3 green and yellow veggies. The higher ratios of very low calorie veggies are labeled "rapid" and "hasty" approaches, and while initial weight loss will be faster, eating that way is not likely to be satisfying enough for long-term adherence.

That's a relief! Thank you.... I have seen a few people commenting on "restriction" and "limitation" and I was disappointed to think there might be some small print that I missed.

Joy, satisfaction and abundance are my reasons for choosing this program.

Fear, guilt and deprivation only condemn us to failure - and discussing "limitation" and "restriction" could damage a new person's enthusiasm, which could damage the rest of their life!

We've got to be careful and make sure we speak the truth, and not bring our own opinions into the mix.

If a person starts out on this diet eating 5000 calories of starches, as opposed to 5000 calories of fat, they are on a better track, and nature will gradually ease them towards more appropriate volumes.

I am already seeing a difference in the way I think about food. I am not thinking about it all day long as I did when I was hungry all the time. Unlimited foods at each sitting ensure we are fuller for longer, and its the satisfaction that makes diets work at the end of the day - not deprivation.

Rant over... :)
Moonfruit

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 am

Phoenix wrote:If I would limit my starches and eat mainly low calorie vegetables I would starve to death.
That's fine if you are sitting all day, but if you want to be active and exercise, then you need the calories (aka starches).
Filling your stomach with cucumbers is what anorexics do. You need calories in order to function.
I messed up my metabolism and hormones by restricting calories to 1800-1900 kcal for a year.
Not more CR for me.

Well said! I agree completely! :)

I hope your metabolism and hormones have settled. I too have messed up hormones from years of calorie restriction. I remember the days when I'd feel guilty if I ate more than 1200 calories. If only I had known.....

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated.
Moonfruit

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 am

Earthangel wrote:
Hi! When I started this Plan - I came from a 100% Raw Food Diet - mostly fruit. I had started gaining weight on the raw food diet - so I started the MWL Plan. I only had about 10 lbs to lose - At first - I gained a couple of lbs. - but I stuck with it - because I was so happy to be eating cooked starches and feeling satisfied eating. Sure enough - I started losing - it's slow because I don't have much weight to lose - but I'm losing!!!! AND I can tell from my clothes and by looking in the mirror that I'm getting in my best shape ever! SO - STICK WITH IT!!! If you stick with the plan - you will lose.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have tried the 100% Raw Food Diet, and even 100% Fruitarian. All in a bid for more energy, better health and weight loss. I didn't find they were sustainable for me and I was constantly thinking about food - not much fun.

On this diet, I don't want to think about food, because I'm always full! It's wonderful... :)

I have noticed that most dieting forums show members discussing food and supporting each other through hungry periods - the advice is along the lines of "do something else, take a bath, go for a walk, do anything but exceed your calories."

Hunger is our friend, but if we fight it, we lose - every time.
Moonfruit

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:48 am

Another pound down on the scales today (150 pounds). That's 8 pounds on and 3 pounds off. Above all, I feel different - more alert, more alive, calmer, happier and more content.
Moonfruit

Postby Nettie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:07 am

OK, I got my "1/2 your plate of starches" comment from Jeff Novick himself in discussions of calorie density. The original poster was complaining about weight gain, and I thought she seemed to be eating a lot of starches, so my suggestion was to reduce the starch content of her meals to 1/2 and add more vegetables.

See these:

Jeff: "- Dilution is the Solution: Dilute Out High Calorie Dense Foods/Meals
Dilute the calorie density of your meals by filling 1/2 your plate (by visual volume) with intact whole grains, starchy vegetables and/or legumes and the other half with vegetables and/or fruit."

food really unlimited??

And yet again:
"1) Focus your meals on foods low in calorie density. Fresh/frozen fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, intact whole grains and legumes.
2) Start with a salad, soup and/or fruit.
3) Avoid liquid calories
4) Dilute out your meals up to 50/50 (by visual volume) with veggies. So, 1/2 your plate is starch and the other half is veggies (and/or fruits).
5) Avoid added fats and oils"

Read more here: Calorie density question

And here is another discussion on satiety, calorie and nutrient density in their relation to hunger: hunger

And here he says it again:
"..Though I teach that you should make your plate about 1/4 to 1/2 veggies and/or fruit. You could go up to 2/3 if you had to and were still able to feel full and satisfied."

And:

"Our recommendation in regard to weight loss is to start meals with a soup and/or salad and make your main plate up to a 50/50 ratio (by visual volume) of vegetables/fruits to starchy vegetables/intact whole grains and you will experience weight reduction and great health."

Read the discussion here: the principles of calorie density & MWL proven again

Again, moonfruit was concerned about recent weight gain, and she was also interested in losing a few pounds. 50/50 on the plate is the suggestion of the Grand Poobah of Dieticians Jeff Novick himself. Obviously, the choice of how to proceed is up to the original poster.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:36 am

Nettie wrote:OK, I got my "1/2 your plate of starches" comment from Jeff Novick himself in discussions of calorie density. The original poster was complaining about weight gain, and I thought she seemed to be eating a lot of starches, so my suggestion was to reduce the starch content of her meals to 1/2 and add more vegetables.

See these:

Jeff: "- Dilution is the Solution: Dilute Out High Calorie Dense Foods/Meals
Dilute the calorie density of your meals by filling 1/2 your plate (by visual volume) with intact whole grains, starchy vegetables and/or legumes and the other half with vegetables and/or fruit."

food really unlimited??

And yet again:
"1) Focus your meals on foods low in calorie density. Fresh/frozen fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, intact whole grains and legumes.
2) Start with a salad, soup and/or fruit.
3) Avoid liquid calories
4) Dilute out your meals up to 50/50 (by visual volume) with veggies. So, 1/2 your plate is starch and the other half is veggies (and/or fruits).
5) Avoid added fats and oils"

Read more here: Calorie density question

And here is another discussion on satiety, calorie and nutrient density in their relation to hunger: hunger

And here he says it again:
"..Though I teach that you should make your plate about 1/4 to 1/2 veggies and/or fruit. You could go up to 2/3 if you had to and were still able to feel full and satisfied."

And:

"Our recommendation in regard to weight loss is to start meals with a soup and/or salad and make your main plate up to a 50/50 ratio (by visual volume) of vegetables/fruits to starchy vegetables/intact whole grains and you will experience weight reduction and great health."

Read the discussion here: the principles of calorie density & MWL proven again

Again, moonfruit was concerned about recent weight gain, and she was also interested in losing a few pounds. 50/50 on the plate is the suggestion of the Grand Poobah of Dieticians Jeff Novick himself. Obviously, the choice of how to proceed is up to the original poster.

Nettie

Hi Nettie,

Thanks for the info. It is the conflicting theories which are under debate - on one hand we are told we can have unlimited starches and will not gain weight. On the other hand we are told to limit starches if we are gaining weight. It does not make sense!

It's contradictory and something here needs clearing up because it is clear from this thread alone that there are a few of us singing from different hymn sheets.

What is the truth?

We have to be sure that the people who are gaining weight, which isn't bloating, or transitional, are actually adhering to the advice. They might be overeating fats without realising it, or overdoing the processed carbs - or lying even! I guess we can only really know for sure from our own experiences.

My weight gain is transitional - it has started to come off this last few days, and I no longer feel so bloated and uncomfortable. I have started making sure I drink 2 litres of plain mineral water every day to keep the digestive system flowing.
Moonfruit

Postby Nettie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 am

Moonfruit wrote:
Hi Nettie,

Thanks for the info. It is the conflicting theories which are under debate - on one hand we are told we can have unlimited starches and will not gain weight. On the other hand we are told to limit starches if we are gaining weight. It does not make sense!

It's contradictory and something here needs clearing up because it is clear from this thread alone that there are a few of us singing from different hymn sheets.

What is the truth?

I can gain weight on the McDougall Program from eating too many calories in the form of starchy foods. It would be irresponsible and just plain wrong to insist you can't gain weight by eating starches. Calories do count - plain and simple.

But this is not to discourage you. :-D We can eat so much more food, including starches, and be more satisfied (not to mention healthier) by following this program. It can be difficult to gain weight on McDougall for many people. But a binge eater like myself can always overdo it.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am

Nettie wrote:
I can gain weight on the McDougall Program from eating too many calories in the form of starchy foods. It would be irresponsible and just plain wrong to insist you can't gain weight by eating starches. Calories do count - plain and simple.

But this is not to discourage you. :-D We can eat so much more food, including starches, and be more satisfied (not to mention healthier) by following this program. It can be difficult to gain weight on McDougall for many people. But a binge eater like myself can always overdo it.

Nettie

I am curious about this Nettie, because I know of people (hundreds of them who I have met on forums) who follow high carb raw vegan diets, consuming all they can eat - up to 9000 calories a day in fruit - and they are stick thin. They eat only carbs, and get their fats and proteins from the plants they eat.

When you gain weight, do you ONLY eat starches, fruits and vegetables? Are you certain it’s the carbs that are making you gain weight? Do you know that the weight you have gained is fat? Can you prove it?

If so, there is a $10,000 reward available from “durianriders” on YouTube, for anyone who can prove they have gained fat from overeating carbs - cooked or raw - because he believes it is impossible to gain weight (fat) from carbs. He has followed a high carb low fat vegan diet for 9 years and is now a health activist, giving exercise and nutritional advice for a living.

The reason I don’t doubt him is because he lives this - and has done for a decade - and he hasn't got an ounce of fat on him. He's an intelligent lad who practises what he preaches, and what he says makes sense. He doesn’t “cheat” by occasionally eating fatty foods, or proteins. AND, he has never had to pay out $10,000 to anyone who could prove him wrong.

I’m seriously interested, because I’m seeking the truth about this - there are too many contradictory opinions -- but ultimately, I guess I’ll only know through my own experience, and time will tell.
Moonfruit

Postby peasouper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am

I am one of those who find it impossible to gain weight whilst McDougalling. All my meals are based on starches with lots of veg added. My snacks are fruit or starches eg rice cakes baked pots. When I started this way of eating I weighted approx 126 lb, (9st) and did not think I had any weight to loose, but loose I did, I now weigh around 112 to 114 lbs.

I have to eat, eat, eat to maintain my weight 4 meals a day and snacks inbetween.

By the way Moonfruit, where are you in northern England? I am in West Yorkshire.

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:29 am

peasouper wrote:I am one of those who find it impossible to gain weight whilst McDougalling. All my meals are based on starches with lots of veg added. My snacks are fruit or starches eg rice cakes baked pots. When I started this way of eating I weighted approx 126 lb, (9st) and did not think I had any weight to loose, but loose I did, I now weigh around 112 to 114 lbs.

I have to eat, eat, eat to maintain my weight 4 meals a day and snacks inbetween.

By the way Moonfruit, where are you in northern England? I am in West Yorkshire.

Best wishes Sue

Hi Sue! Thanks for your reply. Your experience ties in perfectly with the theory. I too am now basing all my meals on starches with vegetables added. I don't eat any fat, or fatty foods, and I'm perfectly happy with this way of eating. I am enjoying exploring new recipes and ideas.

You lost a lot of weight considering you didn't have any to lose. That's amazing!

I am in Preston, Lancashire - not far away from you. :)
Moonfruit

Postby chey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am

It's just water carbo"hydrate". don't eat too much sugar. you'll be fine.
chey

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge