I'm tired of talking. What was your catalyst to start McD?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I'm tired of talking. What was your catalyst to start McD?

Postby HealthFreak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Herbivore wrote:
macfarmw wrote:The catalyst for me was reading The China Study (where I found out about John McDougall).
If a friend had told me I should become a vegan I would never have changed but this book made a profound impression on me. I quit eating animal products the day I finished the book.

My experience was exactly the same.

My experience to a tee, also! The day I finished The China Study I changed and never looked back. It was my BP that lead me to The China Study, but the book changed me forever.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Postby MommaLuna » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:57 pm

It was my husband's bout with head and neck cancer that resulted in my eating change. Researching his disease and treatment led me to cancerproject.org. They had a link to a vegan 21-day kickstart plan which I started January 1, 2010.

I have to admit I was not truly convinced, just curious. I thought I could do anything for 21 days. Within four days of changing my eating I felt so good that it became impossible for me to even think of going back to SAD eating. More reading (both Internet and books) led me to Dr. McDougall and everything just fell into place.

Now I'm strictly a McDougaller. In 6 1/2 months on MWL I've lost 35 pounds, brought my blood pressure and cholesterol down and got rid of a life-time problem of post nasal drip. I am ecstatic!! Need to lose 8 more pounds to get to my target BMI. And then I'll probably try just regular McDougalling but for no real reason as I love the food I eat on MWL.

Wish I could convince my family and loved ones to do the same but as has been stated here many times they need to come to the realization they could eat better. I can't force that.
MommaLuna

Postby Katydid » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 am

For me it was severe chronic asthma. I was very, very sick and on four different medications, including oral steroids. I weighed over 300 pounds. I could not even walk around the block. I was already a lacto-ovo vegetarian and I was doing research into dairy and autoimmune diseases. I decided to go vegan, and as it happens, I had a copy of Dr. McDougall's McDougall Plan from 1983. I joined the McDougall discussion board (back when it was hosted on Vegsource) and the rest is history. I lost 150 pounds, got off all my meds and can now exercise to my hearts content. Tuesday night I went for a 15 mile bike ride. I went to give blood the other day and the blood tech said I must be an athlete since my blood pressure and pulse were so low. :D . I do not exaggerate when I say this program saved my life. Now I tell everyone I hear complain about RA or lupus or IBS or allergies to get off all dairy - not that many listen, but I tell them all the same.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Wendy Jane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm

For me it was a diagnosis of osteoporosis. I had a bone scan some years ago. I thought I would come up completely clean since I was very active, and ate healthy, or so I thought. Imagine my shock when I read in the doctor's letter that I had osteoporosis!! (By the way I was a big, and I mean big cheese and dairy person.)

During the follow-up with the physicians assistant I asked to see the report, and also wanted a copy of it. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my upper back, and osteopenia in my hips. When I asked what the doctor wanted to do, I was told he wanted me on "fortea." This is something you inject yourself with every day. Well, I refused it, and all the other medications this assistant recommended.
I immediately got online and began a study of osteoporosis. I ordered the book The Myth Of Osteoporosis which I found online. I also read "Better Bones, Better Body." Both books said we get osteopososis from our high acidic diet of meat and dairy.
Around this same time I also read The China Study and discovered Dr. McDougall!!! The rest as one would say is history.
Eventually, I will allow my doctor to do another bone scan. But I haven't been to him in quite a few years because I feel so great!!

By the way what is the receipe for International Stew in the Quick And Easy Cookbook? I'd sure like to try it!! Thanks.
Wendy Jane

Postby marcusm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Wendy Jane wrote:...By the way what is the receipe for International Stew in the Quick And Easy Cookbook? I'd sure like to try it!! Thanks.

Hello Wendy Jane:

Here it is from page 88 of the McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook:

Speedy International Stew

2 (14.5 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes (seasoned with either Italian, Mexican, or Cajun seasonings)
1 (15 oz.) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (16 oz.) can of corn kernels (drained and rinsed)

Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes (or so), stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.

It's so bizarrely simple! And infinitely variable. I change the beans, veggies, add some herbs, just about anything. You can make it more of a soup by adding some water or vegetable broth. It also doubles nicely.

--Marcus
marcusm

Postby Pfarley68 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:11 pm

I just started the program 24 hrs ago. I am 42 and the last two years I have not felt good and gained 60 PBS. A friend shared with me about the program, I read the book and thought I would give it a chance to improve my health
Pfarley68

Postby circle city vegan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 am

My catalyst was many pronged - which converged upon the McDougall way of life.

Firstly I needed to lose all the baby weight I'd gained over the years. I read the Skinny Bitch book once then put it on the shelf laughing at the comedy but not taking the diet seriously. Then some months later I picked it up again and the vegan aspect of it started to make sense. I started looking further though when I couldn't lose weight on all the dairy and meat substitutes.

I then found the veg. society of Hawaii website and started watching the video lectures. They are so great, I wait eagerly for the next installment every month. From there I started buying the books put out by the speakers. Dr. McDougall has a couple of lectures on there, so does Dr. Lisle and Dr. Campbell.

During this "education" time my 40th birthday was coming closer and closer. My mom died of cancer at 47yrs. and the thought of going out early like she did started really freaking me out.

I don't have health insurance to pay for the consequences of poor lifestyle.

All the false advertising by the big food companies just burns me up. I really don't want to give them any more money. It is so wrong that McDonalds sells the very same food that contributes to cancer among other things and then they have the nerve to set up the "Ronald McDonald charities" homes to help families going through pediatric serious illness.

I am not especially ethical in any way but the way factory farmed animals are treated is just too much.

I could on and on, but I'm preaching to the choir.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby Judith511 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:25 am

My husband and I started this in January of this year. I was overweight and was having a hard time losing. He has multiple problems. We heard of Dr McDougall a long time ago but never actually tried it.

Since being on the McDougall program I have lost almost 25 lbs. Occasionally I would have pain from diverticulitis. Since I started eating this way I never have a problem. I know this is the healthy way to go.

I guess what inspires me is that being in the "baby boom" generation I know resources are going to be taxed to the limit in the future and I don't want to be one of the ones using them.

I will never go back to animal based diet. With all the reading I have been doing I would never feel right eating animals any longer not just for my health but for the health of the planet.

We have tried to lead others to McDougall but as they say You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink. Lead by example is the only way to be. :)
Judy

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self evident."
Arthur Schopenhaur.
Judith511

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 am

almost sixteen years ago, I went with a group of gals to a church Christmas party. My youngest was about six months old, and I was at least 150 lbs overweight. That is to say, I sat in a rear seat, with the seat belt fully extended, and could not fasten it around me.

This was a clear case of my addiction to food endangering my life, and I was appalled and ashamed. It was an eye opener, for I had gotten that huge thinking it was no big deal. Heavily in denial, I ate until I weighed over 300 lbs. (not sure the exact number, as I didn't own a scale at the time)

At the party, a woman mentioned The McDougall Plan. She was enthusiastic, talking about her clear headed energy. It's funny that we were all so astounded at the concept of not eating ANY animal product: "vegetarian" was known. But she was talking about no meat, milk, eggs, or oils. We had no word for it, back in 1996...

well, Later that week, I went to the book store and bought the old yellow paperback "The McDgouall Plan" and followed it closely for almost a year. I loved the energy I had. For the first time ever I felt like playing and had enough energy to do things I needed and wanted to do.

It lasted from January to September of that year, when I went nuts and ate a whole chicken. Yeah, pretty much. I was cooking by the McDgouall Plan for most meals, but my family still wanted their meat, so I'd several times a week make a roasted or pan braised or broiled chunk of flesh, along with the healthy dishes. I'd eat the healthy; they would eat the flesh. But that chicken smelled so good, when it came out of the oven, I pried off a leg and ate it, and soon was peeling off chunks of it and just gobbling it down. That was how I "broke my diet" and went back to my generally non SAD omnivore eating. (never have been one to eat highly processed foods)

Fast forward to spring of 2009. Over the years, I had gotten back up to 275 and back down to 200, and then gained back to 235. Determined not to gain it all back, or even another single POUND of it, I thought back to the various diets I had tried. Two methods had benefitted me in ways besides just poundage dropped. Especially I enjoyed the energy levels of "Fit for Life" and "The McDougall Plan" ... started with Fit for Life at the beginning of summer last year, mostly just choosing lots of raw veggies in the form of a giant salad every day. Didn't drop meat, just added raw vegs and ate by the Fit for Life schedule of "only fruit before noon" and proper food combinations.

But I didn't lose ANY weight, since FFL allows oils. On Sept. 7, 2009, I started McDougalling again in earnest. The pounds have dropped off intermittently, much quicker when I'm super compliant with MWL, and slowing down when I indulge in my favorite (popcorn) or let myself nibble on things like salted cashews or "just a few" M&M's. :roll:

In the 10 months since starting, I've lost 40 lbs, down two jeans sizes :) I ate some lamb at Easter and a hard boiled egg. Some salmon at a friend's house bbq last week. That's it for animal protein. I tried a taste of whipped cream on a dessert around Easter and made myself sick, so dairy is no temptation at all.

This is truly my life, now. I can follow McDougall all the way, eating simple, whole plant based, low fat foods until I am completely satisfied...and when there's a feast, I may or may not eat feast foods.

thank you for this thread. Writing this out has helped me a LOT.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:38 am

marcusm wrote:
Wendy Jane wrote:...By the way what is the receipe for International Stew in the Quick And Easy Cookbook? I'd sure like to try it!! Thanks.

Hello Wendy Jane:

Here it is from page 88 of the McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook:

Speedy International Stew

2 (14.5 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes (seasoned with either Italian, Mexican, or Cajun seasonings)
1 (15 oz.) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (16 oz.) can of corn kernels (drained and rinsed)

Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes (or so), stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.

It's so bizarrely simple! And infinitely variable. I change the beans, veggies, add some herbs, just about anything. You can make it more of a soup by adding some water or vegetable broth. It also doubles nicely.

--Marcus

mmm, that with some cooked quinoa thrown in!!!! *slurp*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 am

Katydid wrote:For me it was severe chronic asthma. I was very, very sick and on four different medications, including oral steroids. I weighed over 300 pounds. I could not even walk around the block. I was already a lacto-ovo vegetarian and I was doing research into dairy and autoimmune diseases. I decided to go vegan, and as it happens, I had a copy of Dr. McDougall's McDougall Plan from 1983. I joined the McDougall discussion board (back when it was hosted on Vegsource) and the rest is history. I lost 150 pounds, got off all my meds and can now exercise to my hearts content. Tuesday night I went for a 15 mile bike ride. I went to give blood the other day and the blood tech said I must be an athlete since my blood pressure and pulse were so low. :D . I do not exaggerate when I say this program saved my life. Now I tell everyone I hear complain about RA or lupus or IBS or allergies to get off all dairy - not that many listen, but I tell them all the same.
Kate

You bring tears to my eyes, Kate. bless you, you are an inspiration.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:55 am

nomikins wrote:Diagnosed in 1994 with IBS at age 26. Doctor put me on strong anti-spasmodic medication and told me I would be on it for life. I did some reasearch on natural healing (before I even heard of the internets!), and found my problem was due to diet. I CURED my IBS. So there, snarky ex-doctor.

gabriele wrote:I was handed a prescription for a statin drug, an ACE inhibitor, told to take aspirin forever and that was it. Not ONE WORD about exercise, diet, weight loss, nothing. It took me more than 2 years of research online and in books to even find Dr. McDougall.

IBS was an issue for me, too. I participated in a 12 month drug study, and when the study was over, the dr offered to take me on as a patient, because there was a drug that could stop the urgency problems. I said "I think I'd like to try dietary changes first" and he looked at me like I had two heads. What the heck IS IT with medical people? do they really suffer such a disconnect, that they don't think what we eat affects our health? gimme a break! and don't give me a freaking PILL!

IBS is no longer a problem. :D but I do get exercised over dumb snarky doctors. :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Previous

Return to The Lounge