Hello, I am new

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello, I am new

Postby dawsonpam01 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 am

My name is Pam.

I have been reading this page and also the McDougall journals for a couple of days now.

I found it through Kirk from DU.

I want to say that I am very interested in eating healthy although I am not over weight. Infact, I am the opposite. I have severe Crohn's and have had a prolonged bout of Pancreatitis which has left me severely malnourished and under weight. Currently I weigh 93 lbs. and it is not healthy.

My husband is over weight tipping the scale at almost 270 lbs for his 5'5" frame.

I want to start incorporating many of the wonderful recipes I have been reading on here for both our sakes. I am a teacher so I likely won't really start this seriously until summer, but having just spent 15 days in the hospital and being forced to stay home until Jan, I have really been researching the McDougall diet and feel that it would be great for both of us.

I really like the encouragement you all give each other as well.

Thank you for letting me introduce myself.

I should also mention that my husband is allergic to wheat, oats and squash so I will have to substitute things. He can do rice and corn.
dawsonpam01

Re: Hello, I am new

Postby seestorcoo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 am

Welcome! You've come to a good place!

I'm sure this can help your husband and I think it would probably help you too - I'm not sure how you would need to modify for your crohns...maybe stick to the less fibrous vegies? It might take some experimentation. However, I'm sure the anti-inflammatory benefits of the eating plan will help.

Some tips - learn to read labels. There are very few packaged foods that are strictly McDougall legal - chances are, if you can't pronounce it, its a fancy word for something thats not okay. 90% of my grocery shopping occurs in the produce aisle.

You will feel the benefits within a day or two - I think it took about 2 days for my stomach pain and low level nausea to go away. Other things - like the energy, etc - may take a little longer.

People here vary as to their compliance to the plan - some do 100%. They have the most dramatic results. Others of us struggle a bit more - for various reasons....difficulty incorporating the lifestyle into our lives, food addictions, whatever. Pretty much everyone gets some benefit from it though. It will take a few days for your taste buds to adjust but once they do, you will be amazed how good the homecooked food tastes. The satiety factor takes a little longer....cutting out the fat really takes getting used to. I find that I get hungry more urgently without the fat and need to always be thinking ahead...carry fruit, whatever.

Don't let people tell you that its impossible to do. It is very possible. I was a meat lover, heavily (pun intended) into fast food, pizza, you name it. The furthest opposite from the McDougall plan possible. And I love this food.

Again, welcome. Read the star mcdougallers stories for inspiration.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby Yomom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:35 am

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you've been I'll and in the hospital, and hope this eating program can help you on your journey back to health.

I'm wondering if your husband can eat potatoes? How about beans?
Yomom

Welcome!

Postby veggiecat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:05 am

You don't need to wait until summer to start seriously... just base your meals around a starch..rice,potatoes,sweet potatoes,millet,quinoa....add some veggies,leave out the meat,dairy & oil ...you are eating McDougall style!Jeff Novick has a lot of quick recipes on his forum. Read http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_colitis2.html Hope you feel better soon!
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby dawsonpam01 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am

Yomom wrote:Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you've been I'll and in the hospital, and hope this eating program can help you on your journey back to health.

I'm wondering if your husband can eat potatoes? How about beans?

Thank you.

Yes, my husband can eat many things and potatoes and beans yes, he just can not eat anything with Wheat or oats it in
dawsonpam01

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 pm

dawsonpam01 wrote:My name is Pam.

I have been reading this page and also the McDougall journals for a couple of days now.

I want to say that I am very interested in eating healthy although I am not over weight. Infact, I am the opposite. I have severe Crohn's and have had a prolonged bout of Pancreatitis which has left me severely malnourished and under weight. Currently I weigh 93 lbs. and it is not healthy.

My husband is over weight tipping the scale at almost 270 lbs for his 5'5" frame.

I want to start incorporating many of the wonderful recipes I have been reading on here for both our sakes. I am a teacher so I likely won't really start this seriously until summer, but having just spent 15 days in the hospital and being forced to stay home until Jan, I have really been researching the McDougall diet and feel that it would be great for both of us.

I should also mention that my husband is allergic to wheat, oats and squash so I will have to substitute things. He can do rice and corn.

You just turned my day from humdrum to awesome with this post!

I was wondering when some people from democraticunderground would start coming over and posting, and I'm just thrilled to see that you're the first one (that I'm aware of anyway).

I'm really sorry to hear about your illnesses you've been through. Your husband definitely needs to lose weight also. He's not as proportionately large as I am, but close to 275 at under 5'6" isn't good.

The good news is that you both can do this, though, and I think you'll both benefit from it greatly! There's an incredible variety of recipes you can create with a limited number of ingredients, so eating this way won't get old at all.

Please keep us apprised of how you're doing as you incorporate more McDougall-friendly foods into your diet. I think you'll really like the changes. :D
Ege Bamyasi

Postby dawsonpam01 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 pm

Ege Bamyasi wrote:
dawsonpam01 wrote:My name is Pam.

You just turned my day from humdrum to awesome with this post!

I was wondering when some people from democraticunderground would start coming over and posting, and I'm just thrilled to see that you're the first one (that I'm aware of anyway).

I'm really sorry to hear about your illnesses you've been through. Your husband definitely needs to lose weight also. He's not as proportionately large as I am, but close to 275 at under 5'6" isn't good.

The good news is that you both can do this, though, and I think you'll both benefit from it greatly! There's an incredible variety of recipes you can create with a limited number of ingredients, so eating this way won't get old at all.

Please keep us apprised of how you're doing as you incorporate more McDougall-friendly foods into your diet. I think you'll really like the changes. :D

Thank you Kirk,

I found you in a round about way through DU but also that site that is hateful as we are both up for "awards" I won't waste time talking about it here, but pm me if you want

I took time Monday to read all of your blog, and my heart went out to you but also wanted to really say you are awesome for sticking with things even when the outlook seems bleak!
dawsonpam01

Return to The Lounge