Jan Tz's "From Lent to a Lifetime" Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jan Tz's "From Lent to a Lifetime" Journal

Postby Jan Tz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 am

When I became a Star McDougaller several years back, Dr. McDougall titled my story, "From Lent to a Lifetime" because I had originally begun the program for the six weeks of Lent. Although at the time I did not really intend to continue past Easter, the wonderful results that eating on-program brought to me made me want to continue forever.

But it has been up and down over the past three years or so. I have definitely returned to vegan meals, but have developed a few bad habits along the way, having discovered Earth Balance spread and olive oil. It's true: fat on the lips really does make fat on the hips!

So today is Ash Wednesday, and I am recommiting myself to the McDougall Program. I will begin with the six weeks of Lent that are ahead of me and then see how it goes after that.

Here's to a blessed Lenten season for all who are observing it. +
Jan Tz

Postby groundhogg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 am

Good to see you're making the ol' comeback!

Life's pathways are interestingly unpredictable, aren't they, rife with new and unexpected trials to bear that function to inspire our sensitivity and sapience... or am I just talkin' silly groundhog-talk? :P

Anyway...Groundhog's Wishing you well with your "New and improved" Lent-to-Lifetime!
:)
groundhogg

Postby Lin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 am

Jan Tz, it's good to have you back with us.
Most of us have our ups and downs, I know I certainly do.

We need your McDougalling wisdom here. I've missed it.

May you have much success as you recommit yourself to this healthy lifestyle.
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby Hazel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Hello Jan,

I spent the last four months of 2007 dabbling in Earth Balance myself. :-) You are not alone!

Best wishes for your Lenten journey.
Hazel
1/1/08 (350)
2/24/08 (321)
6/1/08 (371) Eeek!
6/22/08 (348)
6/30/08 (341)
Hazel

Postby Jan Tz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:11 pm

At the end of one week: down 2 pounds. If I could just get rid of about 5 or 6 pounds this Lent, I would be happy. That's how close I am to my ideal weight. But it's just so stubborn!
Jan Tz

Postby CathyB » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Congrats on the 2 pounds! Good luck this Lent. That is what led me back to McDougall this year. For Lent I am getting healthy, losing weight, and giving up the meat and dairy products with the McDougall program!
~*~Cathy~*
restart on 9/2/12

CathyB

Postby Jan Tz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

3rd week of Lent: down 3 pounds total. If I could lose another 5, I would be back to my ideal weight. But it's real s-l-o-w being so close to that weight anyway.
Jan Tz

Re: Jan Tz's "From Lent to a Lifetime" Journal

Postby Lilac » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Jan Tz wrote:
But it has been up and down over the past three years or so. I have definitely returned to vegan meals, but have developed a few bad habits along the way, having discovered Earth Balance spread and olive oil. It's true: fat on the lips really does make fat on the hips! +

This has been my problem also, and happens every year around Thanksgiving and goes into the new year. The Earth Balance sneaks back into my diet, even in small amounts it just is almost instantly into my system and is so hard to give back up. I'm doing better now but every year I have to battle it again! Uggg!
Lilac

Postby Jan Tz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:48 am

Up and down and up and down and up and down....

And back again.

Somehow, what with moving from Washington DC back to Minnesota, and changing jobs, and eating out -- LOTS -- with family, McDougalling just slipped away from me.

Well, it wasn't a total loss. I never went back to the junk food. I finally gave up the Earth Balance. Mostly vegan.

I also got rid of my McDougall recipe notebook. That thing had gotten so fat with recipes I never used that it was impossible to find what I was looking for. Instead, what I have now, is a smaller book of about 40 recipes or so that I use all the time, plus my quick bread file. Then I bought a heavy magnetic clip and clipped the notebook to the side of the fridge where I can get at it immediately.

The other thing I did was to go through those recipes and make a pantry list of every ingredient in them. Now when I do my grocery list, I just go through the list and see what I need. I keep the pantry stocked with these items and can make any recipe in the folder at a moment's notice. Handy when my job has a rotating schedule!
Jan Tz

Postby Letha » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Jan,
Since you’re reorganizing and recommitting perhaps now might be a good time to consider a website/blog to organize your recipes.

OK, I’ll admit my suggestion is selfish. I want access to your new notebook. :D Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

Postby Jan Tz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:37 am

something to think about!
Jan Tz

Postby Letha » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 am

Jan Tz wrote:something to think about!

Yea! That would be wonderful. Here are links to three sites with different styles that might inspire you.
Letha

The Happy Herbivore

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Vegan - Vegetarian Recipe Book
Letha

Postby Becky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Jan Tz! It's nice to see you are still amongst these pages! I've been in and out myself, and understand the struggle!

I like your organizational ideas, they make a lot of sense.
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Jan Tz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Today was a good food day. I passed on the chips at Guadalajara's with no problem and the Lazy Lasagna turned out well. I made a honey-almond quick bread today for snacking, too.

Having given up the Earth Balance (and that took months to actually commit myself to that. What is it with that stuff???), I now need to get rid of some of the natural fats in my diet: walnuts, avocados, and Calamata olives. Those are better Feast Day foods than everyday foods.

I have gained a few pounds and they need to go. Health otherwise is still very good, and I attribute that to trying to incoporate as many McD principles into my diet as possible, even when I wasn't particularly following the program at atll. Fruits and veggies are powerful medicine!

I am going to take it slowly to eliminate the other fatty foods. In a few days, when the olives are gone, I will simply not buy any more. Keeping the walnuts, since they really make the oatmeal last me until lunch. We'll have to see about the avocados later! :-D
Jan Tz

Postby wordweaver » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Former Earth Balance junkie here too. That stuff is way too good, and too buttery tasting. Sooooo glad I finally committed to not having any in the house, period! It was the only way to not eat any. I've been up and down a lot too in recent weeks, but have gotten a lot out of the Lounge posts about 100% adherance, and there's another posts aobut cheats and slips. Welcome "back" :)
The difference between try and triumph is the UMPH.
wordweaver

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals