I'm gaining 1 pound a day in weight... help!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I'm gaining 1 pound a day in weight... help!

Postby Moonfruit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks talkingmountain! I have definitely kissed goodbye to fat in my diet, so it's just a matter of time before things adjust.

I am going to quit the salt - I add a lot (maybe a teaspoon per day), because I have become accustomed to it. If I don't quit, I will just keep adding more and more as my taste buds get used to it.

It's good to know the taste will only be more bland for a few days!. That is encouraging. Thank you!

Hi frozenveg. Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it is very odd indeed. I can feel it piling on, by the day. I feel very uncomfortable in my abdomen, and my arms and legs are jellylike (water). Obviously it isn't fat.

Yes, the pdf highlighted that to lose weight more quickly I need to go easy on the flours and grains. I haven't had any flours, but I have had oats, which are grains. Well, until today - I had some fat-free bread (well, at least no added fat).

I have been eating a lot of lentils, and peas. I think there is a lot of protein in peas.

I have not been drinking enough water and I have not been exercising enough.

However, the rapid weight gain (8 pounds in 6 days) is very unusual, and at 40 years of age I have a lot of dieting experience, and I can say I have never, ever gained weight on any weightloss program before today!

I shall keep calm, and carry on...

Many thanks.
Moonfruit

Postby rickfm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

Moonfruit wrote:I am going to quit the salt - I add a lot (maybe a teaspoon per day), because I have become accustomed to it.

Good idea. One tsp of salt has 2325 mg of sodium (and I think we all have a tendency to underestimate quantities). A low sodium diet is considered to be 2000 mg or less. I don't have a salt package to look at (I've been keeping my salt in a mason jar), but I think a "serving" of salt is 1/4 tsp.

I have been eating a lot of lentils, and peas. I think there is a lot of protein in peas.

The recommendation for this way of eating is to limit lentils/beans to one cup a day, cooked. Peas are considered a starchy vegetable, so you may want to try replacing some of them with the non-starchy veggies.
Last edited by rickfm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am

I started by eating almost exactly what you said you are eating, including lots of salt. I gained at first and then after 2 weeks it fell off (more weight than I even wanted) and stayed off. I still eat too much salt. I don't recommend that -- just being honest.
Lesliec1

Postby Quiet Heather » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 am

When I rededicated to this way of eating back in January, I initially had a lot of bloating, too. After a few weeks, the bloating went away, and I lost all the weight I wanted to lose (and then some) and feel better than ever.

I also noticed that eating a lot of beans would stall my weight loss, but I could eat bread, pasta, and other flour products and still lose weight easily. YMMV
Quiet Heather

Postby funcrunch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 am

Moonfruit wrote:However, the rapid weight gain (8 pounds in 6 days) is very unusual,

I agree. It sounds like something may be wrong with your scale or the way you are weighing yourself. Or you may have something more serious going on that would warrant a doctor visit. I would stop the daily weighing for a week though before resorting to that, unless you develop other troubling symptoms, because most doctors will try to talk you out of doing this program out of nutritional ignorance.
funcrunch

Postby Moonfruit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi rickfm! Thanks for the info on salt and the peas. Much appreciated.

If I'm not going too far over the top with the salt, I doubt it's the salt that's made me gain 8 pounds in 6 days - I've been eating it for years, but it certainly won't be helping to lessen the bloating.

Lesliec1 and Quiet Heather - thanks for adding your experience. That is very comforting and reassuring! :)) Thank you.

Hi Funcrunch. Thanks for your reply. There is definitely nothing wrong with BOTH my scales - they both say the same thing. And there's nothing wrong with me either. It is definitely my eating that is causing the bloating. I appreciate your advice.
Moonfruit

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Moonfruit wrote:I've been following The Starch Solution for 5 days, and I've gained a pound every single day... I am terrified of continuing at this rate.

I have eaten only potatoes, vegetables, peas, lentils and oats - I have used no fats or oils whatsoever, and have not eaten any nuts, seeds, olives, coconuts or avocados.

I am not over-eating either. I eat until I am satisfied then stop. This is easy because the food is not "moreish" like fatty foods are.

I am about 20 pounds overweight (I'm 150 pounds and 5 feet 6) so I should not be gaining weight.

What is going to happen to all this weight? It can't be all water. I always drink plenty of water.

I've been vegan for 18 months before this (and vegetarian for 16 years), and was consuming an average 40% of my calories from fat, as per most people.

Now I've eliminated the fats, the weight is piling on. Help!!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Moonfruit,

First, you can't gain 5 lbs of fat in 5 days, no worries on that one!

Second, I too gained at first when I switched to more starch and cut the fats AND I suspected it was to increased bulk in the gut, holding moisture which adds weight, and more glycogen storage in your muscles if exercising. I persisted and after a month, it dropped, then more.

This may help you as well:

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Hope this helps!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby sanlee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 pm

I have the same experience of weight gain on this WOE. Thanks so much Lani and others -- you've given me the strength to carry on!
sanlee

Postby Moonfruit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 am

Thank you Lani... that article is really helpful.

Before starting this plan I was consuming around 40% of my calories from fats (I thought they were mostly "good" fats) - so in effect, to get the same calories from carbs, I must be doubling the amount I eat in comparison to the amount of fats I was eating (because carbs have 4 calories per gram, and fats have 9).

The weight is definitely abdominal - the bloating. I am simply not used to eating so much volume - and of course carbs need water to digest, whereas fat doesn't - so that's a hell of a lot of water I am holding on to as well as the fibre.

I can see why this is happening now, thanks to everyone here, and to some intensive research.

I have actually lost one of my "bloatation" pounds today - so I have gained half a stone in a week. I am going to trust the process and just allow nature to do its thing.

Oh, and a parcel was just delivered of raw chocolates which I ordered two weeks ago - before I quit fats - I had a very small corner of each to try them, then binned the lot. I didn't like them anyway, thankfully!!

Thanks so much for your help and advice.
Moonfruit

Postby Lani Muelrath » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 am

Moonfruit wrote:Thank you Lani... that article is really helpful.

Before starting this plan I was consuming around 40% of my calories from fats (I thought they were mostly "good" fats) - so in effect, to get the same calories from carbs, I must be doubling the amount I eat in comparison to the amount of fats I was eating (because carbs have 4 calories per gram, and fats have 9).

The weight is definitely abdominal - the bloating. I am simply not used to eating so much volume - and of course carbs need water to digest, whereas fat doesn't - so that's a hell of a lot of water I am holding on to as well as the fibre.

I can see why this is happening now, thanks to everyone here, and to some intensive research.

I have actually lost one of my "bloatation" pounds today - so I have gained half a stone in a week. I am going to trust the process and just allow nature to do its thing.

Oh, and a parcel was just delivered of raw chocolates which I ordered two weeks ago - before I quit fats - I had a very small corner of each to try them, then binned the lot. I didn't like them anyway, thankfully!!

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Moonfruit,

Nice work on your persistence, investigative energy, and 'binning' the chocolates! I assume that's tossing them? "Binned" is a new term for me, I must say me likey!

Your body will adapt to the new loads of fiber - sometimes we have to work our way up a little more slowly, which is tough because once you are in the know about plant-based healthy eating, you just want to go for the gusto!

Stay in touch regarding your progress. And remember when YOU ask a question, you help many others in ways you may never suspect.

Cheers!
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Moonfruit » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:37 am

Thanks again Lani... I feel amazing again today. Didn't sleep so well, but I realise I am eating too late at night. I need to stop by 7pm or I won't sleep. Carbs give us energy and that's the last thing I need when I'm going to bed!! I was eating apple crumble until 9.30pm... Oops.

Lost another pound today, so that's 8 pounds on and 2 pounds off in 8 days.

Best of all I feel good, and that's worth my weight in gold!!

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Phoenix for your support and great analysis. Yes, it cannot be fat I have gained.

Actually, my thighs feel thinner - even though my belly is still bloated, so the weight is isolated to the gut, further suggesting it is fibre and water retention.

This is the kind of diet I can do for life because of the variety of foods, tastes and textures. I have tried the raw food vegan diet and even a fruit only diet, but they are just not sustainable, especially in a cold climate like North of England.

I know I'm on the path to slimdom, so I'm definitely going to keep it up.

Cheers! :)
Moonfruit

Postby Lani Muelrath » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 am

Moonfruit wrote:Thanks again Lani... I feel amazing again today. Didn't sleep so well, but I realise I am eating too late at night. I need to stop by 7pm or I won't sleep. Carbs give us energy and that's the last thing I need when I'm going to bed!! I was eating apple crumble until 9.30pm... Oops.

Lost another pound today, so that's 8 pounds on and 2 pounds off in 8 days.

Best of all I feel good, and that's worth my weight in gold!!

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Phoenix for your support and great analysis. Yes, it cannot be fat I have gained.

Actually, my thighs feel thinner - even though my belly is still bloated, so the weight is isolated to the gut, further suggesting it is fibre and water retention.

This is the kind of diet I can do for life because of the variety of foods, tastes and textures. I have tried the raw food vegan diet and even a fruit only diet, but they are just not sustainable, especially in a cold climate like North of England.

I know I'm on the path to slimdom, so I'm definitely going to keep it up.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the update moonfruit. Apple crumble (not sure what that is, but it sounds like a yummy dessert!) , too much at any time could be problematic! Be sure to eat enough early in the day, freely of the veggies, fruits, starches, beans - and your patience will pay off.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Moonfruit » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 am

I made this last night, but I used apples instead of rhubarb - and I made twice as much, which means I made enough for 4... but IT WAS ALL FOR ME!!

It actually tastes “fatty” and “doughy” like real crumble. Yum! :)

It’s from Dr. Gillian McKeith’s book, Ultimate Health Plan...

RHUBARB CRUMBLE

When cooking fruits such as rhubarb, do not allow the fruit to boil. It should simply cook at a low simmer. This will ensure as many of the nutrients as possible are preserved. Rhubarb is an excellent source of calcium.

SERVES 2

For the Filling:

100g rhubarb, chopped (I used apples)
½ tbsp agave syrup
75ml cold water

For the Topping:

50g porridge oats
½ tbsp millet flour (I used spelt flour, it’s all I had in the house)
1 tbsp agave syrup

1. Place the chopped rhubarb, agave syrup and water in a small pan. Cook over a gentle heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly and then transfer to a small pie dish.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
3. Place the oats and flour in a mixing bowl and stir well. Then mix in the syrup. The mixture will appear a little lumpy.
4. Scatter the mixture over the fruit. Do not press the mixture down.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the top is crisp.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Moonfruit

Postby Nettie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am

I know I'm a little late chiming in, and you've gotten some good advice, but I do encourage you to be conscious of calorie density. Of the 4 things you mentioned you were eating ("potatoes, vegetables, peas, lentils and oats") 4 of them are starchy. You should limit your intake of starches to about 1/2 of your plate or less, and the rest should be green and yellow veggies, salads, etc.

When you start eating this way, remember that it takes a lot of water to process starches, so your body will retain some water until it gets used to the change in food. You will lose that water weight soon.

You'll be fine if you stick with the program.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby funcrunch » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Nettie wrote:I know I'm a little late chiming in, and you've gotten some good advice, but I do encourage you to be conscious of calorie density. Of the 4 things you mentioned you were eating ("potatoes, vegetables, peas, lentils and oats") 4 of them are starchy. You should limit your intake of starches to about 1/2 of your plate or less, and the rest should be green and yellow veggies, salads, etc.

I would caution against filling more than half the plate with green and yellow vegetables. Even in the Maximum Weight Loss book, the default ratio recommended is 2/3 starch to 1/3 green and yellow veggies. The higher ratios of very low calorie veggies are labeled "rapid" and "hasty" approaches, and while initial weight loss will be faster, eating that way is not likely to be satisfying enough for long-term adherence.
funcrunch

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge