Crockpot Oats

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Crockpot Oats

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:30 pm

Basic oats:

2 cups whole oat groats (can use rolled oats)
6 cups water - this varies with different crock pots
add options as given below.
Start around bedtime (mine cooks from 9 until 5am) and you wake up to a heavenly aroma!

Cherry pie - add to basic recipe 4 cups tart frozen cherries, 2 tsp pure almond extract

Pumpkin pie - add 1 small can pumpkin, use apple juice for part of the water, maybe 2 cups? and also add pumpkin pie spice or 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1 tsp. vanilla

Apple pie - 4 cups cut up apples, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg

Pumpkin/apple - 1/2 can pumpkin, 2 cups apples, cinnamon and nutmeg

Raisin - (yes, the options are endless!) 1 cup raisins, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon

Blueberry - 4 cups frozen blueberries, 1/2 tsp lemon rind, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Thanks for posting this yummy sounding recipe!!!!

Postby Doris » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:10 pm

So many choices. Plan to try them all. Thanks again. :)
Doris

Leftovers

Postby serenity » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the suggestions. Sound great.

Even if I cut back on the recipe, it would be a lot. I've tried the small crock pot, but they don't work as well as the regular sized ones. So, I'd like to prepare a regular size batch and just re-heat the leftovers.

Does the oatmeal with fruit mix-ins re-heat well?

p.s. Anyone know the best way to print out these recipes now that we have this new forum? Maybe cut and paste to a Word doc?

Thanks.
serenity

Re: Leftovers

Postby Sandie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:10 pm

serenity wrote:Anyone know the best way to print out these recipes now that we have this new forum? Maybe cut and paste to a Word doc?

That would be the best way as you wouldn't be printing out all the unnecessary stuff - just the recipe.
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby Jan Tz » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:01 am

Oat Groats are chunky, right, rather than the thinly sliced versions you get in Quaker Oats? Where do you buy them? I love oatmeal for breakfast!
Jan Tz

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:26 am

I buy my oat groats from our local health food store. They order a 25 pound bag for me and give us a discount since they aren't packing it all in little one pound bags. We store it in a large pail so bugs don't get in. I use my 3 quart oval crockpot for cooking, it fills it to the brim.

As for reheating, that is what I do all the time, this one batch will last at least 5 days. I'm the only one here who eats this, unless my husband has some. He likes to eat other things for breakfast, like bean soup. So, I put my crock of oats into a Tupperware container and it lasts me all week. I scoop out what I want and microwave it for one minute, stir, maybe add water, microwave for another 30 or so seconds, and put on my maple syrup.

I also use this stuff as "dessert". I pretend it's ice cream or something like rice pudding and have a dish near bedtime.

I got this recipe from the McDougall board years ago. I have almost lived on this stuff, and I credit it with helping my numbers a bit. Over the past few years, my fasting insulin has gone from 10 to 18 to less than 4. One doctor told me I should take chromium (to help my PCOS symptoms and lower fasting insulin) and I told him I don't need it, I take oats! Whole grains are a good source of chromium, it turns out. It also turns out that this doctor sold chromium supplements at the front desk.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:27 am

These sound wonderful...even my husband eats oatmeal so I plan to try these recipes out...and what a wonderful thing to have it waiting for you when you wake up! Thanks for this post....yum!
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Postby Puddy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:37 am

serenity wrote:p.s. Anyone know the best way to print out these recipes now that we have this new forum? Maybe cut and paste to a Word doc?

Thanks.

You could highlight what you want to print, the go to File, select Print Selection and you'll print only what you've highlighted or selected.
That's what I've been doing for a couple of years.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
Puddy

Thanks for the recipe

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Our HFS just got oat groats in this week and I was about to search through the old recipe board for instructions on how to cook the darn things.

Tomorrow when we go grocery shopping for the week I'll be sure to pick up some more canned pumpkin and apples - that apple/pumpkin version looks delicious!
VeggieSue

Variation to the recipe

Postby Malva » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:44 pm

I like a creamy oatmeal, so I use 1 1/2 cups of groats to 6 cups of water.
I add the boiling water to the oats, cook in crockpot on high for 45 minutes (until the groats pop open) then turn the heat off and let them simmer all night.
Next morning I've got a full pot of oats (3 servings for me). I add frozen blueberries and cherries for sweetening.

If I let the oats cook all night in my 2 quart crockpot, I end up with crusty, crunchies. Too hot even on LOW! So the soak overnight method works best for my pot.

Also, I do not cook my frozen fruit in the oatmeal. After I have cooked the oatmeal, I rinse the frozen fruit in a wire sieve (both cleaning and thawing) and then add to my bowl of oatmeal. That way it's like having fresh fruit in your oatmeal.
Last edited by Malva on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby KristaO » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:18 am

MRS. D!

How did you make that cool weight loss color graph??

Thanks!
Krista
KristaO

Postby Sandie » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:19 am

Puddy wrote: You could highlight what you want to print, the go to File, select Print Selection and you'll print only what you've highlighted or selected. That's what I've been doing for a couple of years.

That's what I used to do until I lost the folder that had all the printed recipes in it. :(

I now copy and paste the recipes into a word doc and save it. I can print them out and still have the computer file as a back-up. :-)
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:42 am

KristaO wrote:MRS. D!

How did you make that cool weight loss color graph??

Thanks!
Krista

I clicked on Gramma Jackie's ticker and it took me to www.tickercentral.com where I made my ticker. I couldn't figure out how it could automatically upgrade my weight each day, and was playing around with it and finally did something wrong, so it showed that I had lost 20 pounds but I really didn't! I deleted it this morning because I didn't know what it was doing.

Maybe if I figure it out I will put it back on. It is a cute thing and doesn't seem to take up a whole lot of bandwidth but then I don't really know for sure.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Thanx for the recipe....

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:03 am

I am going to the health food store today and I am going to make the pumpkin spice oats they sound sooooo good. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby SandyW » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:10 am

We had the pumpkin/apple oats this morning...they were wonderful! Thanks again for posting the oat recipes...definitely plan on trying out the other versions. :-D
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning