smoothies

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

smoothies

Postby dteresa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8hboPYHbI

Here is a great Jeff Novick very short video on smoothies. It looks like it is one of a series of short videos on various topics. I have never seen them before. I have always thought the same thing about smoothies and juicing too. Juicing especially would be the last thing I would do when I discovered how many vegetables were necessary for a small glass of juice.

didi
dteresa

Re: smoothies

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:57 pm

If you were 'sick & nearly dead', then I could see how juicing might well be a way to jump start a healthier WFPB diet. The force feeding of phytochemicals & nutrients not so readily absorbed might well be beneficial in the short run.
dynodan62

Re: smoothies

Postby Werner1950 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:42 am

Several months ago, I was experiencing some pretty severe abdominal stress. I could not get an appt with a doctor for several weeks, and I did not want to go to emergency, where you get an unknown doctor. So I came across a couple of juicing websites (I read Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead). The ONLY thing that did not give me pain was veggie juice. I did that for an entire week, abstaining from all solids. I lost a pound a day. We assumed I had gall bladder issues. It turned out not to be my gall bladder.Still are in the dark about what it was.

At any rate, I think juicing can be a good kickstart, and from there, I transitioned into McDougall's WOE and have not looked back.

So I think as a stop gap measure, I would recommend it, but of course, it's only an anecdote. Nothing scientific about it.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Return to The Lounge