McDougall's news letter

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall's news letter

Postby Golden Ghost » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 am

Not to hit on the Dr. but his new newsletter makes me wonder if he started eating oil again. To think that the President is going to help put the country on the proper eating plan is like thinking the President is going to reduce our budget.
If you think the government’s going to help by getting involved like Bloomberg outlawing large sodas you are in for a rude awaking. Just remember this when they start to take away potatoes or other high glycemic foods that are great for us but they think are dangerous. The day is coming.
The news media was on his side for the entire national health care debate, if you want to call it a debate, but now we are starting to see the facts. Multiple news articles on the millions and trillions of taxes on people and companies to pay for it. The CEO of Aetna just said he expects health car cost to double.
If he wants to use the bully pulpit to spread healthy eating I’m all for it. But if and when the laws start to get past like New York, watch out. We will have a national discussion that is about as open and full of facts as the current rant about gun control. Wait and see.
Golden Ghost

Re: McDougall's news letter

Postby marakima » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:27 pm

It does appear that the majority of those in the newsletter portrait have higher than ideal levels of body fat. A good reminder that it is possible to store excess fat even on a very low fat vegan diet.
marakima

Postby miranda2060 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 am

marakima wrote:It does appear that the majority of those in the newsletter portrait have higher than ideal levels of body fat. A good reminder that it is possible to store excess fat even on a very low fat vegan diet.

Makes me wonder if you are looking at the same photograph I am. :shock: :?:
miranda2060

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 am

Um yeah--WTF??? They are wearing VERY thin t-shirts that show EVERYTHING. Dr. McDougall is not a young man--there is gonna be some "saggage" that takes place no matter what you eat. They all look pretty darn good to ME.

And I'm picky about these things. Sheesh.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Debbie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 am

miranda2060 wrote:
marakima wrote:It does appear that the majority of those in the newsletter portrait have higher than ideal levels of body fat. A good reminder that it is possible to store excess fat even on a very low fat vegan diet.

Makes me wonder if you are looking at the same photograph I am. :shock: :?:

Me too. I highly doubt he's hitting the oil. And I think he looks incredible for his age. Ive seen pics of people who say they are perfectly on plan, maintaining the same weight for quite a while, and don't look anywhere near as good as Dr. M, even having quite a gut still. ^shrug^ I doubt that's fat as far as fat goes. And isn't it a good thing when older to have a little "extra" fat? I hope to look as good as them when Im their ages.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Melinda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am

Are we looking at the same picture? I thought they all looked great! If you are wearing a thin clingy tee shirt in bright light, every ripple is going to show. I'm thin, and I wouldn't want my pic taken under those conditions!
Melinda

Postby hazelrah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm

The part I found most interesting was the comment:

..., then you can fulfill your bucket lists, too, cheating disability and death for as long as possible,...

It's a curious turn of phrase.

I had trouble sleeping last night after an 11 day break from work and I started to wonder if we are meant to live much more than 50 years. From my botany days, it seems like most other organism die rather quickly after they leave the reproductive cycle. For most of us, that seems to be about 40. Of course, with the exceptionally long maturation of humans, that means the parents must take a much more active role in the life cycle of their progeny. At the end of this month I celebrate the the second birthday that my father did not get to celebrate before succumbing to heart disease. And I am feeling as though it is perhaps the continuance of life that is the abnormal state. In some ways, whether stents, bypasses, or adopting this lifestyle, it seems to me that we are attempting to cheat death. Not that I'm planning on stopping, but still,...

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby didi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 pm

could someone link me to the latest newsletter? I isn't on my computer on the current newsletter section.

Didi
didi

Postby Mober » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 pm

"To think that the President is going to help put the country on the proper eating plan is like thinking the President is going to reduce our budget."

You know conservative radio has a lot of fun w "Moochelle" and her organic gardern and her saying children should eat better and exercise and jump all over them for eating ribs or a steak. I personally think the Pres. won't be telling anyone how to eat specifically and I would expect you would not want him to, you know personal freedoms and all. I hope the gov't would correct some policies, in the long term diet and health and environment costs are going to dwarf any issue we are facing today, but it appears the electorate doesnt have an appetitie for that discussion.

PS - Obama made fun of Bloombergs ban
PSS - I cant think of a debate in governement that went on longer than the one over Obamacare. In fact that debate went all the way back to the early 90's when conservatives recommended many of what was in it. I do not accept the point that it was shoved down anyone's throats.
Last edited by Mober on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mober

Postby John McDougall » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Here is a recent picture (Summer 2012) of Mary and I (ages 65 and 66).

Would you like to see more?

John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Mober » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm

My ny resolution is to get my gut down to that size!
Mober

Postby miranda2060 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Totally agree! You are both excellent role models for the healthy lifestyle. :D
miranda2060

Postby ♥ Amy ♥ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 pm

John McDougall wrote:Here is a recent picture (Summer 2012) of Mary and I (ages 65 and 66).

Would you like to see more?

You guys are amazing and a shining beacon of health to us all!! I treasured meeting you both at the 5 day program and I can only aspire to look this good someday.

Your grandsons and daughter (that I had the pleasure to speak with in person) have the look of health all over them. Kudos to you both Dr. McDougall and Mary and thank you SO MUCH for sharing your family with us!!

Oh and ps. - thanks for making me laugh, your sense of humor is fantastic!
*Restart 12.28.13*
My Journal
♥ Amy ♥

Postby Winterrose » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 pm

I think you all look great.
Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful family with us.
Winterrose

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Beautiful, healthy family. It is obvious everyone of them is healthy. Thanks for your work, Doc. :)
Caroveggie

Next

Return to The Lounge