ATTN: Bloggers! Vegan MOFO is Here!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

ATTN: Bloggers! Vegan MOFO is Here!

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Due to some issues over in Post Punk Kitchen Land, Vegan MOFO got off to a late start this year. For those not knowin', Vegan Month of Food is a blog challenge for the month of October to blog consistently about vegan food for a minimum of 20 posts. It can be part of a current blog, or be set up as a new project, a collective, or flying solo, whatever you want. Themes are encouraged, and wackiness appreciated. There are only a few days to sign up, so get a move on!

Since the organizers are ethical and philosophical vegans, they ask that all content be kept vegan (including pictures), even if you live/dine with omnis.

It would be fun if some McDougall types showed up. I missed it it last year by a couple of days and had to sit on the sidelines, boo! This year I'm in for sure. If you're going to participate, respond here or by PM with your blog's URL, and I'll gather them in one post so we can find each other. Last year 700 bloggers took part, so we could lose each other!

vgpedlr

Re: ATTN: Bloggers! Vegan MOFO is Here!

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm

I keep saying I'm going to do this and never do. Maybe I should just go for it. I think I hesitate because I'm not much of a writer and wouldn't know where to start.
greentea

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I would like to do this, technically impaired...don't know how to do the RSS thing

so if you can help, I'll get signed up. I have a xanga account...but not sure how to add RSS to that...
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby vgnwitch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:15 pm

greentea wrote:I keep saying I'm going to do this and never do. Maybe I should just go for it. I think I hesitate because I'm not much of a writer and wouldn't know where to start.

I always hesitate because I'm not much of a photographer and I only have a web cam to work with (which doesn't make it any easier). One of the biggest charms of a food blog is the photos. *sigh*
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 am

I've done this for two years, but there are few healthy bloggers. I think we should do the VeganMcMOFO Vegan McDougall Month of Food and do our own thing right after VeganMofo to help people loose the weight they gain from Mofo
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby funcrunch » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:41 am

I am thinking about signing up for this. Need to investigate if I can generate an RSS feed from a subset of my LiveJournal blog entries so I don't have to set up a whole separate domain. Stay tuned...

ETA: OK, I figured it out and signed up.

Blog: http://funcrunch.livejournal.com/tag/veganmofo2012

RSS: http://funcrunch.livejournal.com/data/r ... anmofo2012
funcrunch

Postby fulenn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 am

I just signed up! Sounds really fun.

blog: http://vegandaytoday.tumblr.com

rss: http://vegandaytoday.tumblr.com/rss

It would be great to see others do this, too. I just set up a new account with tumblr for the MoFo. Doesn't cost anything and is super easy.

Fulenn

Just edited this because I had the address wrong!
Last edited by fulenn on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 pm

I've been there very year so far, even if I didn't make all 30 (now only 20) days pf participation:

http://veggiesue.blogspot.com/

They only need the RSS feed to make the yearly blogroll. Once completed they'll post it to the site and then we can grab *that* RSS link to add to whatever blog reader we use. I used to use Bloglines but when they closed down (but are now reopened under new management) I switched to Google Reader. The RSS feed is usually:

http://www.veganmofo.com/RSS

Right now the blogroll still has all of 2011's blogs and I guess Oct 1 will have this year's instead.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:34 pm

fulenn wrote:I just signed up! Sounds really fun.

blog: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/vegandaytoday

Do you have this behind a firewall, marked as private, friends-only or something? When I click the link all I get is the Tumblr sign-in page.
VeggieSue

Postby Theodore » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:04 pm

healthyvegan wrote:I've done this for two years, but there are few healthy bloggers.

I'm not sure if it affects the Vegan MOFO blog selection, but I know that health promotion is not in Isa De Moskowitz's financial interest. Quite the opposite actually. I remember browsing the post punk kitchen forum when I heard about the Happy Herbivore feud, and every post I read by De Moskowitz or one of her entourage was consistent with that fact.

profainity edited as requested
Last edited by Theodore on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby fulenn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:49 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
fulenn wrote:I just signed up! Sounds really fun.

blog: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/vegandaytoday

Do you have this behind a firewall, marked as private, friends-only or something? When I click the link all I get is the Tumblr sign-in page.

Thanks for letting me know. I had the address wrong. I went back and changed it.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby starryeyed » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Theodore wrote:
healthyvegan wrote:I've done this for two years, but there are few healthy bloggers.

I'm not sure if it affects the Vegan MOFO blog selection, but I know that health promotion is not in Isa De Moskowitz's financial interest. Quite the opposite actually. I remember browsing the post punk kitchen forum when I heard about the Happy Herbivore feud, and every post I read by De Moskowitz or one of her p.o.s. entourage was consistent with that fact.

What kinds of posts are you referring to? I'm not entirely sure what happened with the whole feud with HH, but I don't think you can fully place the blame on Isa and the ppk despite the "woe is me, I'm the poor victim" display HH put on. Isa also has a "low-fat" cookbook that I have been able to make MWL compliant in all but a few cases.
starryeyed

Postby Theodore » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:07 pm

starryeyed wrote:What kinds of posts are you referring to? I'm not entirely sure what happened with the whole feud with HH, but I don't think you can fully place the blame on Isa and the ppk despite the "woe is me, I'm the poor victim" display HH put on. Isa also has a "low-fat" cookbook that I have been able to make MWL compliant in all but a few cases.

My memory fails me as to the specific posts. But you could type [McDougall / PCRM / Esselstyn / no-oil] into their search engine and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Enjoy.

I think the accusation of HH copying was ridiculous BTW. Given the 100,000's of vegan recipes in existence, and given that the ingredients weren't even that similar. The accusation makes much more sense when seen in the context of Isa De Moskowitz's non-stop attempts to trash anyone involved in vegan health advocacy.

starryeyed wrote:the "woe is me, I'm the poor victim" display HH put on

You're surprisingly anti-HH for a McDougaller. Care to tell us how you gravitated to the McDougall forum ?

starryeyed wrote:Isa also has a "low-fat" cookbook

There's obviously a reason you put low-fat in inverted commas.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby funcrunch » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 pm

I had not heard about the whole Lindsay Nixon vs Isa Moskowitz brouhaha until I read about it on this thread today. I searched and read all about it and am done and ready to move on, so I won't be linking to my findings here. There's been enough vegan in-fighting already. I just want to post and read yummy recipes! :D
funcrunch

Postby vgnwitch » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Theodore wrote:I think the accusation of HH copying was ridiculous BTW. Given the 100,000's of vegan recipes in existence, and given that the ingredients weren't even that similar. The accusation makes much more sense when seen in the context of Isa De Moskowitz's non-stop attempts to trash anyone involved in vegan health advocacy.

I remember when that went down and the whole reason it did was that a couple of her recipes were indeed that similar, right down to the wording of the instructions. That was actually the whole point. There is certainly nothing wrong with borrowing on recipe ideas, cooks do it all the time, but it's just common courtesy to mention where you got the idea from. It takes two seconds in the intro to the recipe. I think in the vegan cookbook community, which isn't terribly large, this is even more important.

Theodore wrote:You're surprisingly anti-HH for a McDougaller. Care to tell us how you gravitated to the McDougall forum ?

I don't have any HH books. I've visited her blog a couple of times and seen nothing that interested me. I'd rather buy Nigella Lawson or Jamie Oliver and I've been a McDougaller since the mid-nineties.

One last comment about Isa. She is a vegan advocate, not a health advocate, and she has never pretended otherwise. I have spent a few years at the PPK and she has been nothing but supportive to vegan bloggers and vegan authors. Despite what happened in the past, you can find threads on the HH cookbooks at the PPK and they discuss the recipes only. Sure, some people dislike the no-oil concept, but it's a vegan forum. Vegan and McDougall are not the same thing.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Next

Return to The Lounge